jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are you children afraid of, how do you help them get over their fears?

1. Ludivine profile image61
    Ludivineposted 6 years ago

What are you children afraid of, how do you help them get over their fears?

One of my children is afraid of the dark, the other one of bugs. I'm afraid of both lol so it's really hard for me to be a "good example".

2. trimar7 profile image60
    trimar7posted 6 years ago

Presently my daughter is having great angst over the transition of going off to college and not knowing anyone. We talked. I reassured her that she would be able to handle it and that I would be there to support her in all respects. I told her to do what I do and that is to "feel the fear and do it anyway." Basically reassuring her that fear is a natural part of this stage of her life. I reminded her of other fears that she had that she overcame.

3. mommyneal6 profile image77
    mommyneal6posted 6 years ago

My oldest son is scared of almost everything. It's kind of crazy actually, but to make things better for him I try to just reassure him that thing are ok and that he's too little to think about half of the things he does. You have to show compassion and understanding to their fears and once they see that you are calm, most of the time they will follow.

4. CARIBQUEEN profile image74
    CARIBQUEENposted 6 years ago

Yes, most children are afraid of the dark but that usually fades with time as they grow older.  Others are afraid of scary movies - parents can control the shows that little ones watch to avoid that. Some are afraid of monsters - parents can lovingly let them know that there are no monsters and there is nothing to be afraid of.