jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is a God-Parent?

1. Apostle Jack profile image60
    Apostle Jackposted 6 years ago

What is a God-Parent?

What do God -Parents suppose to do that regular parents,grand-parents,friends,and love ones are suppose to do,required to do or see that they ought to do?
    I thank it is taking the title of God out of context and used a little loosely.What is your opinion?

2. Mrs. Spinkler profile image66
    Mrs. Spinklerposted 6 years ago

god-parents do the exact thing as everyone else, they just inherit the kids if the parents pass away.  The title of God is always being used out of context anymore.  In this case I do not think so because God takes care of people and looks after them and the god-parent would be doing that with the children if something happens to the parent.

3. 77minds profile image60
    77mindsposted 6 years ago

Godparents plays a role similar to parents,friends,grandparents and families. Its just that their realtionship to the child is soldified and lawfully acknowledged by the people of the Church and its highest community. The bond that is sealed unto this agreement therefore is equally important to those of the child's related by blood. Their duty is to help in guiding the child into a better person, not just base on  the ideals and norms of the society he/she is in but also the spiritual aspect of the child.

4. Apostle Jack profile image60
    Apostle Jackposted 6 years ago

God have said: My glory I will not give to another.God-parents are not to take over where the regular parents,relatives,and family members have a duty to step in and have God in front of their name.
    Don't you think  that it would make the house hold look insufficient,and without compassion and caring to let an outsider take over family duties to a love one.Shame on the household would be a factor, don't you think?
    Spiritual education begins at home which is completed by a Pastor of the church.I n the bible if Gods name or title is not to be used in just any way.Just for the record.

5. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

I'm not sure if all religions work the same, but a child acquires godparents when he's baptized, and the purpose is they're supposed to see to the child's religious/spiritual upbringing if the parents die.