jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Are people born with photographic memory?

1. brakel2 profile image81
    brakel2posted 6 years ago

Are  people born with photographic memory?

2. laddriggers profile image77
    laddriggersposted 6 years ago

Some people are born with the ability to remember a great deal very easily.  Scientists still don't know exactly what makes some people remember things more easily than others.  There are ways to develop your memory.  A great book about developing your memory is "Moonwalking with Einstein."

3. Bretsuki profile image76
    Bretsukiposted 6 years ago

Not sure about born with but it can be cultivated. I surprised my professors at college when I could tell them the positions of particular words on a page or pictures in the textbook.

I have always had a mind that picked up trivia, so popular on school and other quiz teams, before going blind.
    But even now I find I can remember things very well.

4. sangre profile image96
    sangreposted 6 years ago

I think some people are just naturally able to pick stuff up. But I do think us regular plp can train our mind to process and store information also

5. Kaniel Loughran profile image58
    Kaniel Loughranposted 6 years ago

Some absolutely are. Especially those who have had developmental problems that hinder the brain from functioning normally, often dulling certain parts of the brain and strengthening others. This is especially true with autism. I know we all know about rain man, but consider Stephen Wiltshire instead. He is an autistic artist who drew the entire NYC skyline from memory down to the EXACT number of windows of every building, place in their appropriate rows and columns, the shape of each building, the count, the cars, everything after only a 20 minute helicopter ride around the perimeter of Manhattan. He did the same thing with London on a 20-something-foot panoramic paper after a 40 minute helicopter ride. That is most definitely a gift (and unfortunately is accompanied by a difficult disease to manage) that he was born with. I'm sure there are average people who can do similar feats of memory. All I know is I wish I had the ability to absorb and remember everything with a photographic memory.

6. edhan profile image61
    edhanposted 6 years ago

I do believe it is more of a trained mind rather than born with photographic memory.

There are many schools teaching this method of remembering things.

7. lovelife08 profile image59
    lovelife08posted 6 years ago

I don't have scientific facts to back me up, but I believe they are.  My sister has had photographic memory since she was born, but we only gradually realized it as she got older and it was discovered that she was born with a...let's call it a "mental specialty"...that made her that way.  So, yes, based on personal experience, I believe people can be born with photographic memory.

8. Monisajda profile image72
    Monisajdaposted 6 years ago

I guess I have a photographic memory but if I was born with it, I am not sure. I can remember after reading a book tell where a sentence was positioned in a book, page and which part of a page. But then, I mostly remember things I read but have problems with remembering stuff I hear.

9. Docmo profile image92
    Docmoposted 6 years ago

I think it is a combination of nature and learning. I do remember everything very vividly and it helped me a great deal through school and college. But as I grew older I began to remember more through an understanding, application and connectedness.

I find I am not just able to remember but able to teach my students to remember better through use of narratives, examples and memorable quotes. I try to use metaphors, analogies, connect with whatever the students are interested in to make them see the link to what I am trying to teach and anchor that memory. The feedback from students has been very good!

working