jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

How did mothers get by before the invention of electricity?

1. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

How did mothers get by before the invention of electricity?

years ago, families commonly had 8 or 10 kids without any modern convieniences. how did moms keep it all together?today many complain that taking care of the house is too much work, I don't get it.

2. profile image0
    Fiddlemanposted 6 years ago

My Grandmother Ballard raised 14 in a time when electricity was not available. The task required great stamina and hard work, making do here and there. This is a hub I wrote as a tribute this past Mothers Day. http://hubpages.com/hub/Mother-of-the-Year-Award

3. Merlin Fraser profile image75
    Merlin Fraserposted 6 years ago

They just did,  like generations before them, I guess like anything in life if you've never had it I doubt you'd miss it.  Of course having 10 kids helped everyone of them would have had at least one job.

I know when I was growing up I did, I was not allowed to go anywhere until my jobs were completed and we had electricity...  It's just how things were back them until someone invented human rights !

4. ChristineVianello profile image60
    ChristineVianelloposted 6 years ago

I agree with you on that one. I think we take for granted our modern luxuries that help us in life. How easy it is for us now is nice. Because I do not think I could of lasted long back then.

5. Loveslove profile image59
    Lovesloveposted 6 years ago

Back in the 'Good old days' women didnt go out to work ,they stayed at home did the chores ,looked after the kids and the husband ...today the mums / wives usually go to work in addition to being a mother /housewife thats why they find it so hard ....

6. Monisajda profile image73
    Monisajdaposted 6 years ago

Back then women didn't have a way to compare their life to ours so they couldn't resent it, they just did what had to be done. Kids had to work more helping parents or there wouldn't be enough food, laundry wouldn't be done. Bigger girls had to work almost as hard as moms, younger tended to their younger siblings. But when the evening came they all sat together and listened to the stories instead of watching TV. I don't think it was that bad altogether.

7. onegoodwoman profile image76
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

Hard work.  Child labor.  Short lives.

People, both men and women, worked physcially  hard, and often  had large families, so the children could be of physical help.......  Often, far too often, children died young, even in infancy, and " 40" was old!

Today, 40 is just getting to know our true selves.

8. BaliMermaid profile image56
    BaliMermaidposted 6 years ago

Before the invention of electricity mothers either worked like slaves or owned slaves.

9. Miss Paula profile image40
    Miss Paulaposted 6 years ago

That's a very good question! I have know idea, I would never be able to do it with out electricity. God bless the ones that were able to do it.

working