jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What wise word from your Mother still has meaning to you today and you use for y

1. Cathy I profile image75
    Cathy Iposted 6 years ago

What wise word from your Mother still has meaning to you today and you use for your kids?

2. sholland10 profile image93
    sholland10posted 6 years ago

"Pick yourself up and wipe yourself off."  She never allowed us to feel sorry for ourselves,  I use it with my kids, too.

3. jacobsterling profile image53
    jacobsterlingposted 6 years ago

i have a lot in my mind.. But 1 particular word of advice that still stands out until today and use it for my kids would be "Always stand up for yourself". And hopefully, my kids can use it for their own kids too.

4. Merlin Fraser profile image77
    Merlin Fraserposted 6 years ago

Not sure I was listening all that much, I had selective deafness when it came to when parents were talking but one does come to mind

"Don't touch that... It's HOT !"

5. Loveslove profile image58
    Lovesloveposted 6 years ago

Slow down..walk..If you fall and break your legs dont come running to me for sympathy !!

6. SueShepard profile image58
    SueShepardposted 6 years ago

My mom used to say, "That's not nice" if one of us said something bad about someone. It always made me stop and think about my actions. I don't have kids, but I still hear that echo in my head whenever I may be tempted to say something not so nice about someone. Now, I joke a lot about people in general....but my intentions are never malicious.

So simple, yet powerful words.

7. mepm2011 profile image60
    mepm2011posted 6 years ago

My mother always told me that my family were my dearest friends.  I tell my children that family is the most important thing.  I tell my grandchildren that their brothers and sisters are their dearest friends.  "Family is the most important thing!" is the thing I heard all my life and it is still true today.

8. loneparentgiggles profile image61
    loneparentgigglesposted 6 years ago

I know this isn't quite what you're asking for, but my mother used to say do as i say, not as i do... which i never agreed with and still don't as a mother... I would urge my son to do as I do, to learn from me.

And in shops i have caught myself saying to my son 'look with your eyes not your hands...'

working