jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Would you support your child's decision to drop out of college?

1. puddingicecream profile image73
    puddingicecreamposted 6 years ago

Would you support your child's decision to drop out of college?

Whether it is to become a dancer, singer, businessperson.

2. neakin profile image74
    neakinposted 6 years ago

I would support anything he or she wanted to do in life but I would encourage, encourage, encourage mine to continue with their college education.

3. lovelife08 profile image61
    lovelife08posted 6 years ago

It depends.  If she just can't handle all of the pressure and is not doing well, sure I would support her.  College is not for everyone.  But I would prefer that she at least try first, before deciding to quit and do something else with her life.

4. Pamela Sarzana profile image59
    Pamela Sarzanaposted 6 years ago

No, I would not.  Unless you want your adult child to be living with you, or not being able to stand on his/her own 2 feet for the rest of their life. No.  There are college grads who are out of work now.  How much easier to you think it will be with no education?

the economy is in a downswing now. It will get better. And all the jobs are going to go to qualified educated people.

Maybe he/she can change their major. There are other alternatives to dropping out.

5. mepm2011 profile image61
    mepm2011posted 6 years ago

I believe in higher education but it's not for everybody.  I have 7 children....there are three B.S. degrees, 2 associate degrees, 1 drop out and 1 never went.  They all have very good jobs and are happy with their decisions.  At some point, we have to let our children decide for themselves what they want out of life.  As for myself, I have a dual B.S. degree.  At the time I got it, I wanted to hand it to my parents and say, "Here's YOUR degree....now can I get on with my life?"  They pushed too hard and even though I got the degree, I didn't study like I would have if it was my decision.  Talk with your children, help them make good choices but then step back and let them grow up.

working