jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Would you "friend" your kid and/or parents on Facebook?

1. puddingicecream profile image74
    puddingicecreamposted 6 years ago

Would you "friend" your kid and/or parents on Facebook?

2. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
    Shahid Bukhariposted 6 years ago

Have you come so far ?

That you have to ask on the internet ... whether to befriend your own Blood ... who are the only Real Friends, there are ... in life !

Go back, to your own kind ... do not waste time ... by experimenting with the Realities of Life.

3. lovelife08 profile image61
    lovelife08posted 6 years ago

I already have...I'll admit there are some people in the older generation that have no business with a Facebook, because they know nothing about how it works socially, but if they add you, what can you do?  They're your family.  Not adding them might send them the wrong message and make them think things like you don't want anything to do with them, or you're hiding something, or whatever.

4. scauthor1969 profile image58
    scauthor1969posted 6 years ago

My child is required to be friends with us on facebook. With all the activity you hear about today we want to monitor what she is doing and what her friends are doing. She has to give us her passwords for facebook, e-mail and the like. I think that if you are a good parent you will do this to help keep your children safe.

5. SueShepard profile image59
    SueShepardposted 6 years ago

I have both my parents (I'm an adult though). I do have to stop and think what I write sometimes trying to be funny cause I always think my parents won't get that I am kidding. I never post 'inappropriate' things, just you know how parents can be..lol

6. Danette Watt profile image84
    Danette Wattposted 6 years ago

I'm friends with my 25-year-old. He's overseas now so it's been nice to occasionally see him online and be able to chat a bit. This from the kid who told me "don't volunteer at school anymore when I get to HS" and who couldn't wait to leave town when he graduated. But when he's back at his base, he's never online - too busy out on the beach!

My younger one, though, 19 and still in college, won't be my friend. That's ok, he's a good kid and calls, texts and emails me often.

7. K. Burns Darling profile image82
    K. Burns Darlingposted 6 years ago

I have three children, two girls ages 4 and 15, and a son, age 17. The internet can be both a wonderful and a frightening thing for a parent.  Every year hundreds of children and teenagers are lured away from their families and homes by on-line predators pretending to be something that they are not.  My two older children have at least one friend who was lured away by a man pretending to be another teenager, whom she met on facebook and formed what she thought was an on-line romance. The 15 year old girl was missing for several weeks, with only a short call from her cell phone to a friend in which she cried that she was in trouble, and needed someone to come and get her, this was 2 weeks before she was actually found.  Where was she?  She was about an hour from home, her "teenage boyfriend" was really a pimp, and she was being forced into prostitution.....So, yes I am friends with both of my children on Facebook, as well as many of their friends, and on their My Space accounts. What's more, I have their e-mail passwords, and yes, I do periodically check their email.  Also, when they were younger and first  allowed computer privileges, they did not have their own computers, they used the computer in the family room, and their computer time was monitored.  You may think that this is an invasion of privacy, but I am their mother, they are the most precious things in my world, and it is my job to keep them safe.