jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How do you weigh your situation?

1. krisingreen profile image61
    krisingreenposted 6 years ago

How do you weigh your situation?

If you are in any type of situation and you wanted to move forward, start a new life or career, be with other people and such. What do you consider as PROS and CONS of your situation? Just to help you at least know if what you're about to do is really the best for you.

2. ZIa Ahmed khan profile image80
    ZIa Ahmed khanposted 6 years ago

I always say Alhamdulillah ( with grace of Allah), and take best possible decision. Then I pray this to be the best decision. All situation needs SWOT but decisions in most of the time can only depend upon your choice. This choice can only be considered as best option by you.

3. RosieG profile image58
    RosieGposted 6 years ago

Write it all down. Benjamin Franklin used to get a big sheet of paper draw a line down the middle and list pro's down one side, con's down the other. Its amazing how writing things down clears your mind and helps you make the right decision. 

Ask yourself "what am I afraid of," often its fear that stops us making hard decisions. Another good question is "what is the worst that could happen"

It's good to think things through carefully before you move.  All the best with whatever you are planning.

4. Larry Fields profile image79
    Larry Fieldsposted 6 years ago

I would make a list of all the pros, and a separate list all of the cons. How would this decision affect me in the short term? In the long term? How would it affect other people? You can probably think of many more questions and answers. (You may feel the need to gather more information.)

Then I'd combine the two into a master list, with the most important consideration in the No. 1 position. (It doesn't matter if that particular item is a pro or a con.) Then put the second most important consideration in the No. 2 position. Continue until all of the pros and cons are on the master list, and are in order.

Next mark all of the pros with a green magic marker, and all of the cons in red.

Next add up the green scores (position numbers). Ditto for the red scores. Tentatively, the low score wins.

Then sleep on it for a night or three. Ask yourself: Am I comfortable making a major decision right now. If yes, go on to the next step.

Then get out your master list, and ask yourself: Do I feel comfortable with the low-scoring option? If not, that indicates some kind of intellectual-emotional conflict. If there is such a conflict, the best thing to do is to procrastinate until your heart and your brain are more in sync with each other.

Best wishes!

5. C.V.Rajan profile image78
    C.V.Rajanposted 6 years ago

There is a method called weighted averages. It can help you very practically to weigh the pros and cons of options available to you and take a decision in favor of the best option. It is just doing a simple mathematical exercise of averages, based on your preferences and priorities.

This article explains it all in simple language, with a practical example.

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/509220_d … n-help-you

6. The Ghostwriter profile image74
    The Ghostwriterposted 6 years ago

Pros and cons are fairly subjective, if you forget one important issue it throws out the entire dynamics.

Write down all the 'what ifs' you can think of, all the worst case scenarios and what you would do if you met with those circumstances.

Look at the big picture, what impact will it have on not just your life but all those around you and dependent upon you.

7. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

I. . . . .I'm speechless.  How can we ever really know what is going to be best for us?  I weigh things against a grain of salt, so everything seems to be pro being salted.  Cons, I know lots of ex cons, but if one is currently a con, then one has a hard time finding non con's to talk to about what will surely be a speculative situation; and "forward" is merely the next set of electro locking bars that mark the time till Dick Cheney knocks back another hundred grand from GEO Corp, and the Vanguard Group.

I'm afraid that I'm the worst decision maker in the history of . . . .well, let's just say that I'm not skilled at it.

I'm pleased to say here that. .. the future is wide open, and a horse with blinders can't see all of the possible paths that one might take, and not to beat a blinded horse, but you never know what the future holds, so obsessing about things isn't the answer.  I think excitement is always a "pro," and life is in the living, not in the statistics or the roads never travelled.

working