jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

How long after your first born should you start planning for baby number two?

1. zuriki profile image70
    zurikiposted 6 years ago

How long after your first born should you start planning for baby number two?

2. JT Walters profile image79
    JT Waltersposted 6 years ago

I think it is best to wait until your first child is in school so you have time to dedicate to your second child.

3. RosieG profile image58
    RosieGposted 6 years ago

Have your children grow together, then they develop closely and you are doing similar things with them. You go to the park and they all play on the equipment.  Growing together they will play together, fight together learn to share and end up with best friends for life. 

I knew someone who was the youngest of four children all were 5 years apart. That means that nappies and babies were in that household for eight to twelve years!!!!

I have twins, my eldest is 11 years older.  Though twins were hard work at the beginning, its wonderful and amazing having these two beautiful almost seventeen boy and girl.

However the reality is babies (my twins were completely unplanned) can come unplanned and the thing is lets just love them and enjoy them whenever they come.

4. ThePracticalMommy profile image97
    ThePracticalMommyposted 6 years ago

It's recommended to wait two years between children, but I say it's personal preference. We waited until my son was about one and a half to start trying for our second child. They ended up being two and a half years apart. It's nice financially because now I only have one in diapers and on formula. It's also great seeing my son trying to be a big boy and helping out with his little sister. smile

5. puddingicecream profile image74
    puddingicecreamposted 6 years ago

I personally would like about two years between two children so they're close enough to grow up together but far enough to give my time and energy to each one.

6. Pam Pounds profile image80
    Pam Poundsposted 6 years ago

I waited 6 years between the births of my two children.  At least wait until the first is potty trained!!  Children are so incredibly wonderful!!

7. lovelife08 profile image60
    lovelife08posted 6 years ago

It depends on the parents.  Some parents like to give it just a few months before trying to have another one, because they want their children to be close in age.  I personally am going to wait a few years before I consider having another one.

That being said, no children should be less than a year apart in age (which is possible, since you can get pregnant almost immediately after a birth, and it only takes nine months for a baby to develop).  A year plus is ideal.

8. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 6 years ago

I liked having them close enough together that baby number 1 still takes daily naps when baby number 2 is born.   Otherwise I never would have gotten any rest during the second newborn phase!!  Anyhow that was just my philosophy.  I also REALLY like that mine are so close in age that I can take them to the same activities and their ages are still within the range of all the other kids there.

Every family is different, and every spacing of babies has its own pros and cons, so you just have to go with what works for you.  A factor for us was that my husband and I enjoyed the close spacing of how our parents had our siblings, so we went with that for our own kids.  So maybe think about what spacing was fun (or not) for you and your siblings.

To sum it all up, as RosieG said so well, we don't always have complete control over what the spacing ultimately is!

9. sam3m profile image59
    sam3mposted 6 years ago

i would suggest that one is a great number.  two or more and you're talking habit.  we have four.  very expensive, noisy, frustrating, maddening, anger-inducing, etc.  babysit for a couple youngsters over a weekend to help you decide.

working