jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

What is your take on spanking a child?

1. JEDIJESSICUH profile image80
    JEDIJESSICUHposted 6 years ago

What is your take on spanking a child?

Is it abuse or discipline? For those who agree with spanking your child, where do you draw the line?

2. laidbacklady profile image75
    laidbackladyposted 6 years ago

Well, that depends on what sort of spanking you are talking about.  If you are referring to a "Mommy Dearest" beating with a wire hanger, that's out of the question.  Also unacceptable is spanking with a back brush, a giant wooden spoon, electrical cords, razor strops, and any other device you hold onto. 

However, a smack or two on the bottom with your hand to focus and redirect should suffice.  Beating a child beyond this simple disciplinary action only serves to teach the child that you are bigger and stronger than they are and that you can bring them pain.  Plus, if you were looking for that child to be open and honest with you in the future, well, not likely.  They will shut you out.

3. seicheprey profile image60
    seichepreyposted 6 years ago

As  a father I think it would have to depend not only on the severity of the child's offense, but on the child's attitude when they were committing the wrong.  A child who accidentally breaks  something doesn't deserve a spanking; conversely if the child broke it intentionally and maliciously, then perhaps a spanking is necessary, especially if the child continuously disobeys.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I think when a child is a toddler, it is impossible to reason with them, and a swat can be appropriate to give them notice that something is off limits.  I do not believe in spanking an older child.  If you have to cause a child physical pain to get them to behave, you've already lost the battle.

We raised two children without spanking and they are delightful, productive people adults.

1. CynthiAnn profile image60
      CynthiAnnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Spanking, when and if used, should never be to inflict pain though.  Spanking or a slight smack on their hand should only be used to get their attention. Spanking in a way that is painful will only send them the wrong message.

5. lydocia profile image60
    lydociaposted 6 years ago

You don't spank your friends when you disagree with their behaviour or opinions, you talk to them and clear out the matter.

Children, however younger and less able to argue, are exactly the same, if not more, like friends. They should be taught to discuss things, be explained why certain things are wrong and should learn to reason and be reasoned with.

A spanking gives the same signal for everything they do wrong: I painted the wall with my crayon - > spank, I brushes my teeth with glue -> spank, I put flour in mom's bed -> spank... They don't learn from that, they only become afraid to do anything at all.

1. CynthiAnn profile image60
      CynthiAnnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Spanking should only be to get a child's attention. Never to inflict pain on a child. We must find the appropriate punishment for the crime and issue the punishment in a way that lets the child know we also love them.

6. profile image52
    pinapple123posted 4 years ago

what is your take on spanking your spouse? Is it abuse or discipline? For those of you who agree with spanking your spouse (hopefully, No one in their right mind does). Where do you draw the line?

working