Spanking vs. Timeouts

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (28 posts)
  1. lovelypaper profile image58
    lovelypaperposted 12 years ago

I'm a little old school. A swap on the bottom now and then but now that's child abuse. What is/was your method of discipline?

1. classicalgeek profile image79
      classicalgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes a little swat is needed to get their attention. If you have a two-year-old who continually runs out in the street, a spanking may be the only way to get their attention so they'll stop doing it. Better a sore bottom that they will remember than a dead child.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That was the one thing my child ever got a real whipping for.  We couldn't stop him from running into the street by talking, timeouts or a spat on the bottom and he finally got hit by a car.  No damage although it gave the driver and I both a heart attack; he just plopped down on his butt, got up and ran off laughing.

As you say, I decided then I either take care of the problem and put a stop to it or go ahead and buy a coffin.  He couldn't sit down for supper, but I didn't need a coffin either.

1. lovelypaper profile image58
          lovelypaperposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank God he was alright. Sometimes a good spanking will save a life. They think twice after their butt's burning.

2. suffilover profile image61
        suffiloverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Sometime a good spanking will save a life. " Perhaps. A spanked child is better than a dead child. However, a harness around the chest when outside.  Is much better than a spanking.

2. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am a product of an abusive childhood.  Fortunately for me my son responded well to time outs and grounding.  But some children just don't respond well
      to it.  Sometimes a parent needs to do
      what they need to in
      order to get through
      to their children.  I
      do not advocate the
      use of violence or
      severe disciplinary
      beatings.  But even I have had to spank my son once.  I cried the entire time and he clearly was sad for me because I had ro spank him.  But he never ran out of the neighborhood at night without permission again.  Still to this day if Zach leaves one friend's house to go to another he sends me a text.  He got that spanking over five years ago.

3. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"A swap on the bottom now and then but now that's child abuse."

No it isn't. But it also shouldn't be confused with "discipline." Neither a spanking nor a time-out, by themselves, are "discipline." They're punishments.

Discipline is showing a kid the difference between what's right and what's wrong, and instilling in them the desire to do what's right.

Spanking can be in your toolbox, but if it's the only tool you use, it will breed resentment. It'll certainly give you short-term results, but in the long term?

4. nancynurse profile image71
      nancynurseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had twins and so discipline was very important sometimes just seperating them was all I needed to do but often time out or taking away some privledges worked unless they were in ultimate danger and then I might give them a pat on the diaper . It was so padded not sure it was a real punishment.

5. 2besure profile image80
      2besureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you set firm boundaries, I do not think spanking is necessary.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image80
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I like a good spank myself but sometimes Mrs. Miggins (my housekeeper) needs a timeout to rest her arm.  She's getting on a bit.

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can totally relate, Mark!!

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Spanking communicates with the subconscious. Up to a certain age it is vital, necessary, and works for a lifetime.

4. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Timeout works just as well as any physical punishment.

But you must stick to it. If you say "stay in your room for half an hour" or two hours or whatever, it must be that. And no TV/computer games. They can read, quietly.
    If you give in to "Mom, pleeeaase. I'm sorry. I'll be good. I won't do it again", your child has only learned how to get round you and avoid punishment.

I hate spanking. I was spanked often as a child and if anything it made me even more rebellious.

A quick slap gets the message over just as effectively. But a spanking? Noooooo!

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Psychological punishment is often the best.  I never spanked my little grandson and seldom issued punishment or any kind (Grandpa's a softie, I know!) but one day he did something particularly bad and I spatted him on the bottom.

It could not have possibly hurt him through the diaper - no pain at all - but it broke his little heart that grandpa did that.  It was a long time before he repeated that offense and it only took a couple of times to eliminate it altogether.

5. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

I have swatted bottoms and tapped little hands, but I have also use psychology too. Swatting is one thing, but beating a child, punching them and shaking them uncontrollably is not acceptable,  in anyway shape or form.

6. Randy Godwin profile image62
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

I had my ass tore up many times as a young child.  I always deserved it and got away with things I should have gotten punished for.  I don't feel bad towards my parents for doing it, only respect for them teaching me right from wrong.

Of course, time out in my room back then would have been a pleasure compared to the work I would have been doing on the farm instead.  "Let me see now,  would I rather work out in the 100+ degree sub-tropical weather, breaking the flowering tops out of 6' tall tobacco stalks in 1/4 mile long rows all day long, or, spend "time out" in the cool, book infested, environs of my own room?"

Wow! That's a toughie!  smile

7. waynet profile image67
    waynetposted 12 years ago

I also like a good spank, but as a child it doesn't work...timeout and banned off their computer games or favorite toy is far more effective though!

1. suffilover profile image61

.timeout and banned off their computer games or favorite toy is far more effective though!

I Absolutely agree waynet.

8. ThePracticalMommy profile image88
    ThePracticalMommyposted 12 years ago

I think a swat on the bottom or a smack on the hand is okay as long as it fits the crime, but spanking gets the bad rap from parents who repeatedly beat their children to the point of bruising. I was 'spanked' as a child, but I was told why I deserved it and that my parents loved me but they had to teach me a lesson.

Timeouts work, but again they have to fit the crime and be done right. The child should be placed in timeout in a safe, entertainment free area for as many minutes as they are old (for my 3 yr old, 3 minutes, longer for older kids) and told why they are placed in there. They are not to talk or move from the area for that amount of time. Afterwards, they are to be reminded about what the rules are and sent on their way.

9. Dawn Conklin profile image69
    Dawn Conklinposted 12 years ago

I only spanked my younger daughter's bottom once.  It was an out of control moment and took me quite a bit to get there.  She now does not like to see me mad.  I did not bruise her or hurt her bad but I think it scared her enough not to do it again.  My older daughter (and I feel bad for this) was misbehaving years ago and pushed me beyond the breaking point.  I was about to walk away for a minute to cool off and then she kept getting mouthy, kicked me and started pointing right in my face.  She got my nose with her finger and I told her if she did it again I would bite her finger.  She did it again and I bit her finger, a little harder then intended but no damage and really didn't leave a mark lasting for more then 5 minutes.  She remembers to this day and when she starts to get an attitude, it usually isn't an attitude toward me anymore, I tell her to stop and she stops. 
    I do not recommend anything like what happen between my older daughter and I,  she just kept doing what she could to try to hurt me.  A spank is actually legal, as long as it is doesn't bruise and leave a mark.  Wish that was the rule years ago when I misbehaved-I know I had my fair share of spankings!

10. Kathleen Cochran profile image79
    Kathleen Cochranposted 12 years ago

I was always amazed how seldom I had to spank my three children because they knew that I would.  When my daughter became a parent, she wasn't going to spank.  I told her there is no other way to discipline a toddler because they don't understand reason.  But she has proved me wrong.  Her 3 year old and 5 1/2 year old are well behaved, normal kids who respond to her timeouts, etc. as well as mine did with spanking.  It's the discipline that matters, not the method.

11. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

Whatever you do, don't wait until the problem gets out of hand to do it. It gets to a point where nothing works.

1. suffilover profile image61

If you are consistent. Everything works.

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely right! Even the slightest deviation will be recognised and capitalised on by even the youngest of em!

Children are VERY receptive, and that can be a two way street. smile

12. Lenore Robinson profile image61
    Lenore Robinsonposted 12 years ago

Time outs or removal of a favorite item.  I find that time outs are effective up to a point, but removing a favorite item is a definite attention grabber.

1. toygurus profile image55
      toygurusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Time out is my preferred method but there is nothing wrong with spanking. It should not be done to the extent where you leave marks on the child. A little tap on the wrist or behind is all it takes.

13. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

It's simple.
    Be an adult, don't hit your children.

14. MissE profile image77
    MissEposted 12 years ago

Time outs.  They work great if you do it right.  My kids are great.  I've never spanked them, but we definitely have time outs!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)