jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the better source for parenting knowledge: Science/Innovation or Traditi

1. Joyful Read profile image60
    Joyful Readposted 6 years ago

What is the better source for parenting knowledge: Science/Innovation or Tradition/Instincts?

2. Sunny2o0o profile image72
    Sunny2o0oposted 6 years ago

Science and innovation--the number of old wives' tales that have either been debunked or proven to be harmful is staggering.  While the value of instinct should never be ruled out, it is dangerous to rely upon one's instincts too heavily, particularly if they are not reinforced by outside knowledge.

3. mejje profile image60
    mejjeposted 6 years ago

i can not recommend a better source other than God. from him is all knowledge and understanding. he is an expert concerning everything.

4. DavyJones02 profile image82
    DavyJones02posted 6 years ago

I would say 2/3 science/innovation and 1/3 Tradition/instinct, more and more is being studied and developed about children/growing up it would be foolish not to take advantage of that. But there will always be situations or rules which belong to your culture/family which cannot be solved by science and you will have to trust your instinct.

5. Monisajda profile image72
    Monisajdaposted 6 years ago

Use your intuition and logic, too. I can't say it is a combo of tradition/instincts because if I relied on my parents way of parenting me I wouldn't get too far. I use common sense coupled with my intuition. Of course, you need to be on a lookout for what's new, too. You need to know that certain plastics, for example, were recently found to be risky for use with babies (and humans in general) so this is something you need to take into consideration. Although advances in science make our life more convenient, we need to apply our common sense and think if a new gadget won't be proven in 5 years to have some adverse effects on babies' health and safety.

working