jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do single mothers do a better parenting job?

1. rajan jolly profile image90
    rajan jollyposted 5 years ago

Do single mothers do a better parenting job?

2. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

not in the least. i know two guys who are single fathers and they are doing an awesome job. it isn't about gender, it's about what's in a person's head.

3. Lisa HW profile image76
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

I think it depends on the mother.  There are single mothers (and grandmothers) who do a great job, married mothers who essentially raise their children alone, married mothers whose good parenting efforts are interfered with by fathers who "aren't the most skilled and/or loving in the world", and single mothers who are "real pieces of work" (in other words, unskilled and/or uncaring losers).  Emotional maturity, understanding of human nature, common sense; and the strength, stamina, and character to face whatever challenges/issues arise are just a few of the factors that make help determine "better parenting".

Making generalizations about people based only on a single characteristic is never fair and can easily run a high risk of being inaccurate.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

You can't really generalize it like that.  There are wonderful mother who are single, and wonderful mothers who are married - so it comes down to the individual person and how they relate to their children.

5. Cobrafan profile image78
    Cobrafanposted 5 years ago

I think single mothers, single fathers, and couples can all be equally good parents. And I think they can all be equally bad parents. It's not the genders that count, it's how they raise the kids. There are plenty of single mothers who neglect their kids and the same goes for single fathers and couples that neglect their kids. And on the flip side, there's plenty of all groups that raise their kids well.

6. edhan profile image61
    edhanposted 5 years ago

When comes to the topic of parenting, it is still best that both parents to teach your children.

But when there is no choice then either mother or father can do the job. It is a matter of how you handle the job. You need to understand your children's need. Normally, children are closer to mothers as they are more tender while fathers are strict. Though that may be the case, I believe that both parents can handle just as well.

7. miakouna profile image77
    miakounaposted 5 years ago

I think single mothers will do their best as a parent.  One of the toughest challenges that a single mother has is the role of two parents combined into one. You have to be a mother and father, all wrapped into one. 

I cannot say that a single mother is a better parent, but they do deserve a great deal of credit for being a parent that continues to take on the responsibility of raising a great child.