jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

When (at what age) do you think a kid should be given a mobile device?

1. jerrysaliu profile image59
    jerrysaliuposted 6 years ago

When (at what age) do you think a kid should be given a mobile device?

2. NiaG profile image89
    NiaGposted 6 years ago

Don't get me started jerrysaliu! I don't have any kids so I probably should be the last to answer this but I think they shouldn't have one until they are 14 or 15. Now seeing as how the dangers of the world are a bit more than when I was younger there might be a need for them to have one when they are younger. If that's the case then I would get them a prepay phone with no frills, where they can only call emergency contacts and nothing more. I would definitely be a hated parent. Ha!

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I with NiaG.  If it is used for safety or to ask for a ride or to let a parent know they will be late--they prepaid, no frills and absolutely no texting or internet.  My husband and I can barely afford our plan--how do parents afford these things?

If the teen is older and has job then they can have the phone THEY can afford.

4. prettylittlewhims profile image61
    prettylittlewhimsposted 6 years ago

Agree, too with NiaG. The older they are the better. There are a lot of issue with text pals these days even with older kids. But you can benefit if you open the GPS-tracking of the phone:)

5. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

depending on the kid, 16 is about the right age but even then parents should keep their eye on how they use it.

6. mathira profile image83
    mathiraposted 6 years ago

I think children should never be given a mobile before he\she is sixteen.

7. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 6 years ago

Mobile device, a scooter or a tricycle, when he's demonstrated profiiciancy at controlling them.

8. profile image0
    djsdivaposted 6 years ago

I think it all depends on the what the parent believes it should be given to their child.

working