This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

When (at what age) do you think a kid should be given a mobile device?

1. jerrysaliu profile image59
    jerrysaliuposted 6 years ago

When (at what age) do you think a kid should be given a mobile device?

2. NiaG profile image88
    NiaGposted 6 years ago

Don't get me started jerrysaliu! I don't have any kids so I probably should be the last to answer this but I think they shouldn't have one until they are 14 or 15. Now seeing as how the dangers of the world are a bit more than when I was younger there might be a need for them to have one when they are younger. If that's the case then I would get them a prepay phone with no frills, where they can only call emergency contacts and nothing more. I would definitely be a hated parent. Ha!

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I with NiaG.  If it is used for safety or to ask for a ride or to let a parent know they will be late--they prepaid, no frills and absolutely no texting or internet.  My husband and I can barely afford our plan--how do parents afford these things?

If the teen is older and has job then they can have the phone THEY can afford.

4. prettylittlewhims profile image59
    prettylittlewhimsposted 6 years ago

Agree, too with NiaG. The older they are the better. There are a lot of issue with text pals these days even with older kids. But you can benefit if you open the GPS-tracking of the phone:)

5. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

depending on the kid, 16 is about the right age but even then parents should keep their eye on how they use it.

6. mathira profile image84
    mathiraposted 6 years ago

I think children should never be given a mobile before he\she is sixteen.

7. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 6 years ago

Mobile device, a scooter or a tricycle, when he's demonstrated profiiciancy at controlling them.

8. profile image0
    djsdivaposted 6 years ago

I think it all depends on the what the parent believes it should be given to their child.

working