jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is "time-out" in the corner still an appropriate punishment for a thirteen year

1. K. Burns Darling profile image83
    K. Burns Darlingposted 6 years ago

Is "time-out" in the corner still an appropriate punishment for a  thirteen year old girl?

I know a thirteen year old girl whose father uses time-out in the corner as a form of punishment.  I think that she is too old for this, and that there are more appropriate and effective ways to discipline her.

2. VirginiaLynne profile image98
    VirginiaLynneposted 6 years ago

I don't know if I would call it "time out" if that reminds both of you of preschool, but I think that time to cool down is a great idea for kids and adults.  I think that with a teenager I'd say that both parent and teen needed some time to cool down before continuing discussing.

3. Naima Manal profile image74
    Naima Manalposted 6 years ago

The only ways it would be appropriate is if she responds to it, it is a form of discipline she respects, and the parents have a healthy communication with her. It is however odd as a form of discipline for a 13-year-old girl. Time-out seemed to work with some children who did not completely respond to or understand verbal discipline for their actions, but 13-year-olds are usually well beyond that stage.

The initial part of my answer is only out of respect for the parents who may know what is best for their daughter, even if it is not easily understood by others. It may be that the parents need advice on how to transition their disciplinary tactics to more age-appropriate techniques.

4. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

No. I would have enjoyed that as a punishment as a child. Sitting alone by yourself. Something more effective would be taking away cell phone or visiting friends. Something like that.

5. smzclark profile image60
    smzclarkposted 6 years ago

'no screens' is the best punishment for a 13 year old girl I think. That includes; computers,T.V, cell phone...

working