jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Can someone post a picture of your child without consent?

1. cmillsjr profile image59
    cmillsjrposted 6 years ago

Can someone post a picture of your child without consent?

If you just ended a relationship with someone, can they post pictures of your child if it's not their child without consent from the owner of the picture and both parents of that child? What are the consequenses if they post the picture without consent?

2. SimpleGiftsofLove profile image80
    SimpleGiftsofLoveposted 6 years ago

They shouldn't, because it's not ethical.

3. Eliminate Cancer profile image59
    Eliminate Cancerposted 6 years ago

I believe that they can post pictures of people in a crowd, but they aren't supposed to use a picture (especially for their own promotion) without your written consent.

4. RustyRubySlippers profile image61
    RustyRubySlippersposted 6 years ago

I'm not sure of the legal answer - I assume that a photo of any individual is the property of the photographer, but especially in print material that is publically distributed I believe there has to be consent.
    HOWEVER, in our social media world the lines get blurred . . . as a common courtesy a person should not post a picture of a minor to a public forum without the guardians consent. It will take time for the legal system and the process of passing laws about this to get 'on the books'.

As a rule I have asked individuals to take photo's off publically viewed links when my kids are involved.  Really it depends on what kind of argument you are willing to have with the individual and what you think their motive for posting the photo was...

5. landscapeartist profile image77
    landscapeartistposted 5 years ago

schools cannot post pics of students without the parents written permission and neither can anyone else.  its doesnt matter if its a crowd or one person, the photographer has to obtain the parents permission.