jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Have you or someone you know, recently had to apply for Food Stamps (Nutrition A

1. stayingalivemoma profile image83
    stayingalivemomaposted 6 years ago

Have you or someone you know, recently had to apply for Food Stamps (Nutrition Assistance)?

If so, what emotions or feelings did you have after doing this? Many people have never been in this situation. It can be very humbling for some. For others, it may mean a descent into a different class of people. How do you or someone you know in this situation feel about this?

2. Hound Cat profile image59
    Hound Catposted 6 years ago

I personally do not know of anyone who has had to go through the process of applying and receiving food stamps.  I know of several individuals who would definitely qualify if they were living on their own.  One lady here in my assisted living home did make the effort of applying for and recieiving section 8 housing.  There was a snafu with it that made her lose her chance of moving out of where I live and into her subsidized home.  The welfare office stated they lost her paperwork.  What a joke.  She would have definitely have made the next step and applied for food stamps if only she was able to live independently.

3. Minnetonka Twin profile image88
    Minnetonka Twinposted 6 years ago

When I was diagnosed with lung cancer and out of work, I had to be on food stamps for a while. I guess at first I was feeling weird about it but I was so grateful to be alive that I worked through it. I will never forget being judged by a grocery store clerk at Cub Foods when I showed her my card to buy groceries. I guess she didn't think I looked as sick as I felt. I gave that woman a good talking to that day and told her to be careful about making judgments about people who are on food stamps. When I told her my reason for being on it and how I was going through chemotherapy, radiation and had gone through surgery to remove part of my lung, I could see the light went on for her. She apologized for making a snotty comment and giving me a rude look and I forgave her. None of us know or have the right to judge another person and what they may be going through. Sometimes looks can be deceiving and you do not understand their whole story. There are obviously those who work the system but again, that is not for us to judge.

4. bulldogrocks profile image73
    bulldogrocksposted 6 years ago

When my husband and i had to get assistance a couple years ago we were happy because we had no other way to pay for food. I never felt judged because where I live about half of the community is on assistance so we are used to seeing the card.  I know it can be hard when you have to apply for assistance because no one wants to feel like they can't take care of their family but I just considered a blessing from GOD.

5. profile image0
    AlienWednesdayposted 6 years ago

I have and am not ashamed.. When you are out of work and you have 3 kids to feed. You do what you have to do. Plus it is only until I can get another job. I don't plan on living on them for the rest of my life.

6. Jewelz1313 profile image79
    Jewelz1313posted 6 years ago

Well, I work 2 part time jobs and I am going to school and my husband works too. I just had to reapply myself. Mostly, what I need is the insurance for my two kids. One of my children needs daily medications, monthly visits, and the occasional EEG. I do not feel bad about it because I am working my hiney off to make ends meet and get an education so maybe I can get a better paying job. However, I do feel a bit angry when I see people having more kids so they can get more help from the government and not have to work. I've seen this a lot in Southeast Texas. I've also seen some situations where the so called missing parent is not missing, but is dealing drugs to earn unreported income.