Musical chairs should be banned !

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (30 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

I mean after all there is then one less chair to sit in And some poor soul is going to fall on the floor ,  And the stronger person always wins creating more and more weak children that  will not develop  into strong adult individuals !   What do you think , ?  Next , water baloons !

1. profile image0
      Old Poolmanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Of course musical chairs should be eliminated.  It has been a long time since I have played this game, but if I recall, there is one "loser" in every round.  We all know that this is no longer acceptable in this new world where everyone is equal.  The games where every player gets a trophy, we don't keep score, and there are no "losers" goes far to preparing them to survive in the real world.  We are already seeing the success of this new thinking in the growing numbers of persons applying for and getting food stamps.  In the food stamp line, they really are all equal.

1. Gcrhoads64 profile image90
        Gcrhoads64posted 11 years agoin reply to this

As someone who has had to use food stamps,  I find that statement offensive. I, like most people who receive food stamps, work hard. There is no feeling of entitlement when applying for food stamps   - just humiliation.

1. profile image0

Your right and I apologize.  Needing food stamps is humiliation for some, and I am glad they can get this needed assistance.  You might consider though that for many, food stamps are a way of life, something they are "entitled" to.  I should not have generalized and included everyone needing food stamp assistance into one group.  I hope your own life has taken a turn for the better.

Thank you, Poolman.
            It is hard to have to ask for help. I agree, some people abuse the system, but I believe for most it is a temporary thing.
            And yes, I am hopeful that things are getting better. I recently earned a degree in radiography, and I hope to find a job in that field soon. smile

1. profile image0

Good for you.  Financial assistance programs were never intended to be a permanent solution, as in your case they were intended to help persons over a rough spot.  Unfortunately, many now view them as a way of life.
              The point of this whole question was regarding the elimination of childhood games that taught children the basics of competition.  You no doubt have learned that the cold, cruel, world is highly competitive.  Those who never learned how to deal with competition are seriously handicapped when they are forced to compete with those who did.

I do agree that the attitude that "everyone is a winner" can go too far at times, with the  exception of very young children. There is time enough to learn that life is tough - let them have their participation medals. wink
                I think we all can agree that some people abuse the system. We need to put our heads together to figure out how to rid the social programs of deadbeats, yet help those who truly need it.

1. profile image0

You Said:
                  "We need to put our heads together to figure out how to rid the social programs of deadbeats, yet help those who truly need it."

Exactly and very well said.

1. Pixienot profile image62
                    Pixienotposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think musical chairs is a great game for our kids. (We adults tend to break things - like bones) Musical chairs teaches 1) concentration 2) strategy and 3) good sportsmanship! This is of course provided the game is supervised by a mature adult who teaches each participant, not a cheerleader. (No offense to cheerleaders)

2. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

I never thought of it like that Ed. So sad... it makes dodge ball look barbaric.

3. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

This is the everyone wins ideology.    Children now cannot be encouraged to competitive and win as that creates" hard feelings" and "inequality."    Now the premise is everyone is good no matter how hard or how little one exerts effort.   Children raised in this way will often get QUITE A RUDE awakening when they enter the work world where there is massive competition and those who are the best, get accolades and promotions.

1. profile image0

I can see the "everyone wins" ideology doing far more harm than good as the children mature.  We are not doing them any favors teaching them that everyone can be a winner with very little effort on their part.

2. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Do you think this has been brought on by children sitting in front of the tv and playing games all day long?  Children don't use their imagination anymore nor do they go outside and play coming home with skinned knees like most of us did as kids. There is no excuse for not spending time with your children no matter how tired you are.  Parents are getting lazier thus the children are too.

1. Zelkiiro profile image86
        Zelkiiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Because imagination has to involve dirt and sticks? Because putting yourself in the place of a character is not imagination? Because being inspired by another person's art does not involve imagination?

I've got some news for you: I don't think it's modern kids who lack imagination.

1. profile image0

Do you paint those claws pretty colors?

2. profile image0

When I was a child, TV for the home had not even been invented yet.  We played outside, and read books for entertainment.  Books required using imagination to draw mental images of the character involved and the physical surroundings.  Today on TV, little or no imagination is needed because what you see is what you get.  We are seeing the results of the script writers imagination.
          I for one believe that a really good imagination most likely did involve some exposure to dirt and stick rather than watching TV for hours a day or playing video games.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
        gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sarra, totally agree.   If a parent is "too tired" to spend time with their children, then THEY should not have had them in the first place.  Parenthood involves responsibility and sacrifice.   Parenthood means being involved with your children.  There are some parents who believe that children are just mere conveniences, no more, no less.

1. profile image0

Amen Sista!  After you work all day, come home fix supper, do homework, spend quality time with your kids then you can fall into bed exhausted to do it all again in the morning.  Sitting the kids in front of a tv as a 'babysitter' is just wrong.  Maybe that comes from not having a tv until I was 8 years old.  Heck, we still went outside and played all day long.  I encouraged my son to do the same thing and he was only allowed 1 hour of tv only after he had his jammies on and was ready for bed.  He still today doesn't watch hardly any tv as he is always outside skiing, climbing mountains or search and rescue.

3. profile image0
        Ruth Lanhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Some of the problem is due to overly-competitive parents who push their children into whatever sport or activity they may have missed out on as a child.  They want to live vicariously through the kids.  I'm only stating this as MY OPINION after watching "Cheer Perfection" and "Toddlers and Tiaras".  If I'm off-topic, sorry...just had to rant.

1. profile image0

Doesn't it just tick you off when you see what the parents are doing to their children in those shows!  Oh man, I just want to slap them.  My rant is over

4. profile image0
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 11 years ago

I got sick of musical chairs when I started living here because the government here is always playing musical chairs so to say to try to get the best seats or any seats so that they can make the rules and let me tell you no one here really knows what the rules actually are, should be and mostly it all results in very bad laws which cause chaos.

5. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 11 years ago

Examples of competition that our children currently engage in:

Football, baseball, basketball, gymnastics, swimming
    Spelling bee
    Science fair
    Debate team
    Cheerleader tryouts
    Choir competition, band competition
    Competition for scholarships

Shall I go on?  As usual, silly outrage over a problem that doesn't exist.

6. profile image0

Preety panther , I knew when I saw your name here it would be a good rant ,  my point is a muse on banning guns because a  peice of iron is the most dangerous material  known to man in the world ,  so if guns are bad so is  one less chair for our -poor babies ! I mean ,after all , somebody could fall on thier A$$ and get hurt .Couldn't they ?

7. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 11 years ago

I guess I wouldn't compare a kid falling on their butt to a roomful of kindergartners getting shot, but hey, I'm not you.

1. profile image0

I hate to tell you this, but most of the bad guys already have guns, and will always have guns.  It doesn't matter how many laws are written, they will still have guns.  We don't even enforce the laws we already have on the books, why write new laws?  Criminals and insane persons could care less what the laws are.

8. profile image0

As to  banning , restricting guns ; that won't change anything   and if you were to really ,really think about it , you too would realize that too .  Yet , I'm sure you've never even held a gun in your hands.

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL, I live on a farm and I just held a gun in my hands this morning.  What does that have to do with anything, anyway?

I don't want to ban guns and I never will.  I just think you're a pawn of the NRA, which is made up of people who profit from the sale of guns.  They fight any regulation, no matter how reasonable. 

So, let's not regulate abortions either, then, since no matter how much you regulate them, women who want one will find a way to get one.  See how that works?

9. profile image0

You've got me all wrong  Preety I love niether the NRA nor the anti abortionists , thats a womans choice period !  I have not belonged to the NRA  for twenty years , Why do you seem hypocritical of allowing one freedom yet not the other ? The problem is not regulation nor laws , Its simply the lack of prosecution of the laws and restrictions ALREADY in place ,dear !

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I believe in a woman's choice, too, but I also think it should be regulated, just like owning a gun.

10. profile image0

As are both ,Preety , American culture in decline is primarily due to lack of enforcement of restricttions , and law right across the board ! Enforcement of laws already there , as is the general lack of human participation in morality , impulse controls and ethics and civility ! Another law will change nothing , what we need  is more  actual prosecution and punishment .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)