jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are some names you'd like to name a child, but in reality wouldn't subject

1. thebiologyofleah profile image90
    thebiologyofleahposted 6 years ago

What are some names you'd like to name a child, but in reality wouldn't subject a kid to?

Are there names for children that you have always liked, but resisted (or will resist) the urge to name your children because they are old-fashioned or unusual?

2. profile image73
    win-winresourcesposted 6 years ago

Hello Thebio-

My wife and I have common  names.  Hers was common for a long time and mine became common relatively recently.  As a result, we thought long and hard about names for our children.

We weren't interested in giving them burdeons of a name (sweet butterfly jones, Dwezil, or Moonunit -Thanks Frank Zappa), but we did want them to have unique names such that when their name was called on a playground, only one child turned around.  As a result, we made up their names.

Yes, over the years there were plenty of mispronouncations, but no harm was done.  Though they had the option of using a nick name or their middle name, neither choose to do so.

Today one's a JD, MBA and a lawyer for the State and the other  is an MPH working for a large university.  Neither is the worse for wear.

Interestingly, at least one of my children, has developed names for her planned children that are as unique as her's.  No word from the big boy yet.

Their names are labels.  What they are inside is of their own making.  Their names are as unique as they are.

3. danajconnelly profile image71
    danajconnellyposted 6 years ago

My picks were Hendrix, Morrison and Joplin...All overruled. So i went with Mason. In my line of work I come in contact with completely ridiculous names for example Thankgod, Passion and La-a (pronounced ladasha). Wish i was kidding....

4. thebiologyofleah profile image90
    thebiologyofleahposted 6 years ago

Thanks for your answers win-winresources and danajconnelly. I like the idea of coming up with totally unique names win-winresources. I agree with the idea of giving a unique name but supplementing it with a middle name that is maybe more mainstream and if the child wants they can go by that.  Even my name 'leah' is subjected to plenty of mispronouncations but overall I enjoy having a somewhat uncommon name.
    Dana- I like your rejected names but I also really like Mason. I love Scarlett and Aurora from Gone With the Wind and Sleeping Beauty. But in reality, when the time comes, I will select something a little more mainstream.  At a previous job I came into contact with newborn's names as well and it was always interesting to see what parents would come up with!