jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Has you child dialed 911 before?

1. Ciel Clark profile image73
    Ciel Clarkposted 6 years ago

Has you child dialed 911 before?

My son called 911 twice in one day and hung up before I even noticed he was able to reach the phone.  (He was about one and a half at the time--this was back in land line days and who knows why he chose those numbers on a push button phone).  Emergency response called back each time to check.  The first time it was a friendly call, the second time it was a warning to put our phone higher.

2. Rayda Jacobs profile image58
    Rayda Jacobsposted 6 years ago

My son has never dialed 911 before, but I as his mother have.

3. Becky Katz profile image84
    Becky Katzposted 6 years ago

My twenty-three year old son did that when he was about three. They called and told us our son was adorable and carried on good conversations for a three year old. She laughed and suggested we put the phone higher. They do not need to waste time answering child calls, especially twice a day. The first time it is a friendly call, after that it is a nuisance for them. They realize things like this happen but they might have an emergency that can't get through. We need to help them out whenever we can.

4. smzclark profile image60
    smzclarkposted 6 years ago

Yes. 999 here in the u.k., but emergency services all the same. Just like your experience, they called back and I explained and everything was fine...I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't answered when they called back?!

5. breastpumpreviews profile image84
    breastpumpreviewsposted 6 years ago

My kids did this about 6 years ago, I took away their tv in their bedroom because they were not behaving.  They snuck off and called 911 and hung up.  They called me back and I explained the situation however they had to send a cop for a welfare check.  When the cop got there I told him the story without the kids and he wanted to bust out laughing but then he spoke to my kids.

6. Ciel Clark profile image73
    Ciel Clarkposted 6 years ago

I agree it is important not to waste their time.  The first call was more than enough, and I had put the phone higher.  My son moved a chair to stand on and get to the new location, and he did it fast.  The second call was only about half an hour after the the first.  There were three or four people in the apartment at the time, but he saw a chance when no one was looking, and got the phone.

7. delaneyworld profile image77
    delaneyworldposted 6 years ago

I worked as a 911 operator years ago.  There were a lot of children who would call in.  It is not the worst thing that can happen, as it can be a valuable learning experience for the child if the parent follows up the call with talking to their child about the use of 911. 

The problem with calling and hanging up is that if there is no answer when the operator calls back we are required to dispatch an officer to the location.  The assumption when there is no response is that there is either a health emergency, home invasion or other emergency that required the caller to disconnect. 

It certainly is a draw on police resources if a child were to call over and over again.  It ties up the line when there may be a dire emergency.  There is certainly room for mistakes, but it's important for parents to help kids learn about 911.

working