jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What are some methods to quickly diffuse a tense dispute between family/friends?

1. CWanamaker profile image95
    CWanamakerposted 6 years ago

What are some methods to quickly diffuse a tense dispute between family/friends?

2. Brandon Spaulding profile image57
    Brandon Spauldingposted 6 years ago

You might consider changing the subject and talking about something less stressful. However, I would not minimize the importance of what you are discussing. You might also tell them how they are making your feel when they talk to you to help them understand the effect they are having on you.

3. shwetha123 profile image71
    shwetha123posted 6 years ago

In my opinion if you keep a safe distance when there is a tense dispute between family/friends is one of the best method to diffuse the tense between family and friends. If you keep yourself away and calm yourself then only you can diffuse a tense dispute.

4. RealHousewife profile image76
    RealHousewifeposted 6 years ago

I would quickly invite one of the angry guests to follow me outside or to the kitchen immediately and get their attention elsewhere.  As soon as we were out of ear shot and that person begins to complain I would see it as an opportunity to say something nicely such as, "ok I know you're upset but let's talk about it another time so we don't make everyone uncomfortable.". Something like that!

5. pstraubie48 profile image85
    pstraubie48posted 6 years ago

Often a lighthearted moment and humorous comment can lighten a tense dispute. But, there are some familes whose only joy is from being embroiled, angry, and dissatsified....in that case. little can change the tone.
    But in 'nomral' families, lightened the mood will often stop those and cause them to look at the situation. Sometimes it becomes necessary to agree to disagree and then move on...

6. Cheds profile image82
    Chedsposted 6 years ago

Easy, distract them with ice cream. Everyone is happy when they're eating ice cream.