jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is an acceptable age for children to have boyfriends and girlfriends?

1. kellysgirl profile image68
    kellysgirlposted 6 years ago

What is an acceptable age for children to have boyfriends and girlfriends?

My 11 year old has, yet again, informed me that he has a girlfriend, and that, yes, he is curious about sex-every parents worse nightmare right! Well in the interest of thinking this all through like a responsible parent, the question came to me. What are your thoughts, and when should we be talking to them about sex?

2. SimpleGiftsofLove profile image81
    SimpleGiftsofLoveposted 6 years ago

Sixteen, because before that, it is all imaginary and just plain infatuation.  You should talk to your children about sex when they are mature enough to understand.  12 or 13 although some girls are having menstrual cycles already by that age.

3. ALUR profile image66
    ALURposted 6 years ago

As a mother of three blossoming girls, NEVER. LOL.
    Realitstically I think a mature and responsible girl should have a group of friends before becoming idle with ONE person.

4. profile image71
    win-winresourcesposted 6 years ago

Hi Kellysgirl-

I believe that preteen and early teen children are very likely to have friends who are girls and friends who are boys. Such friends are not sexual partners, nor traditional girlfriend/boyfriend.  Children often want to mimic their parents and older adolescents, and may attempt to display behaviors that are more appropriate for late teens and adults.

Generally speaking, sex is still a mystery to an 11-year-old, although there are some sexually precocious children who have a greater, but certainly not adequate, understanding of sex and mature relationships.

In dealing with the curiosity of a preadolescent as it regards  sex and relationships, it always a good path to be open and informative and not add to any mystery or mystique about the subject at hand. Answering questions to the child's best ability to understand is the safest approach. Providing too much information can simply make the problem worse.

i would (and did) talk to my children about sex and relationships when they posed questions or when I saw "the dance begining".  Typically, the child's first contact with a sexual relationship is  what she/he sees from his parents.  An understanding of the difference between romantic love and familial love is an important first discussion.

-DW

working