jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

What would you do if you had the feeling a child was with a kidnapper?

1. BkCreative profile image72
    BkCreativeposted 5 years ago

What would you do if you had the feeling a child was with a kidnapper?

2. profile image0
    Charles Hiltonposted 5 years ago

Hopefully, I never encounter that situation. Nobody truly knows how such a scenario will play-out or how they will react beforehand.
    What I would hope to do depends on the situation---if it occurred in a public place, such as a shopping mall, I would first call 911 and then confront the person directly.
    If there were no people around, or say, if it were dark out, I would call 911 and then follow the person, incognito, so as not to arouse his suspicion that anyone was on-to-him. If he gets suspicious, he will make a desperate act, such as running or ducking into an alley, etc. at which time, I would do everything in my power to keep pace or even apprehend him, myself. Hopefully, the police wouldn't be far behind.
    If he were heading towards an automobile, I would confront him before he had a chance to get-in, and weigh the situation based on his answers, his demeanor; the child's demeanor, etc.
    If they were already in a car, I would get the make and model of the car, the tag number, etc. and call 911 and follow it, if possible.
    The most important item on my agenda would be to free the child, regardless of whether or not the kidnapper was caught.
    And whether or not the child was actually being kidnapped can always be determined later. The important thing is that the child is safe, and the suspect who was mistaken for a kidnapper should understand and appreciate the precautionary measures. I certainly would, if it were my child.

1. BkCreative profile image72
      BkCreativeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Lately, it seems we are hearing more and more about kidnapping. Probably because of the young women who were kidnapped and held in that basement in Ohio. We are all left wondering what could we have done. Thanks for the comments. It is a real issue!

3. moonfairy profile image82
    moonfairyposted 5 years ago

I would definetely call 911 and keep the child in my sight until the police arrived. I wouldn't try to confront in fear that they would run.

4. Dee aka Nonna profile image80
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 5 years ago

I hope I am never faced with that situation.  But the fact is I may have been....many of us may have been without realizing.   One really does not know what one would do until faced with the decision. 

I would hope that I would call the police....if possible and without giving anything way be able to stall the person, maybe follow them....get a really good description and if an automobile is in sight ....get the license number.

I think there maybe signs that all of us need to be aware of....signs in behavior, etc.  This is a good question and I think I will make myself aware of those signs.

5. Galadriel Arwen profile image78
    Galadriel Arwenposted 5 years ago

Now days picture taking is a great tool. Snap a shot, catch the car license and send it along to the police. Never know you might catch someone 'red handed' and get an award for finding a poor little one and saving them from a real bad situation.

1. Galadriel Arwen profile image78
      Galadriel Arwenposted 4 years agoin reply to this

P.S. A few years back as a substitute teacher in an elementary school, I noticed a little girl whose photo had been on a milk carton. I contacted the police.That couple kidnapped more than one child. Hope they got years in jail.

6. pmccray profile image76
    pmccrayposted 5 years ago

Call 911, get a license number try and take a picture.  I'm not going to take the time to access the situation, that time could be better spent gathering important data.  Better to be wrong than to lose one more child to this type of violence.

7. louiseelcross profile image87
    louiseelcrossposted 5 years ago

I would do what everyone else has suggested if I thought a child was in danger.

working