jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why Are Grandparents Very Soft With Grandchildren?

1. ngureco profile image84
    ngurecoposted 5 years ago

Why Are Grandparents Very Soft With Grandchildren?

The grandparents will easily let the grandchildren get away with things. Things they couldn’t have allowed their own children get away with. The grandparents are so softies on their grandchildren that one wonders why is it they refuses to assert the same sense of authority they had on you when you were a children.

2. algarveview profile image90
    algarveviewposted 5 years ago

I think there are several points to this issue: first, it is not grandparents place not educate, it is not their responsability, so they are free of that burden. Basically it's like, well do whatever makes you happy and in two hours you'll be back with your parents, so let them handle the issues, problems, etc; second, I think sometimes they are trying to make up for what they didn't do with us, because they had to show their authority, because there was no time, because they had to work, work... while with the grandchildren they don't have to bother with those details, they have the time for fun and play. Finally, I think they developed a different kind of patience that allows them to let a lot of things go. We will probably develop that patience in time and when we are grandparents probably it will all be about fun and play. Actually that doesn't bother me that much, what bothers me about grandparents is how some of them try to teach us (even if they weren't asked) how to raise our kids, because we're completely clueless and have no ideas of our own on the subject.

3. hoteltravel profile image70
    hoteltravelposted 5 years ago

Just imagine how tough a child's life will be if everyone they interact with try to control them and won't let them be children.
    Grandparents are there to maintain a balance between both the worlds. It is a fact that grandparents are not burdened with responsibility of raising a child. Even in some instances when they have the full responsibility, grandparents are soft on kids.
    May be it their years of experience raising their own children. Or they regret some of their parenting methods and are trying to make up for it by going soft on their grandchildren.
    Whatever the reason, there is no denying that kids need the soft handling of grandparents. They really need someone to turn to when the chips are down.
    Parents should not grudge this privilege enjoyed by grandparents, as one day they will be grandparents and spoil the brats as much as they want!

4. sandrabusby profile image85
    sandrabusbyposted 5 years ago

Grandparents are very soft with grandchildren, because all children need a "fairy godmother" in their lives.  There are enough people and experiences to teach children that life is difficult; someone has to teach them that it is also magical.   It is the grandparents joy to do this.  Being a grandmother is the role I have enjoyed more than any other in my life.