What is the best way to discuss puberty with your child/children?

1. JillKostow profile image88
    JillKostowposted 6 years ago

What is the best way to discuss puberty with your child/children?

What is the best way to discuss the changes your body goes through during puberty with your children?   Did you just use casual conversation or did you purchase books about puberty for your children to read?

2. caranoelle profile image84
    caranoelleposted 5 years ago

This really depends on your child, and the relationship you have with your child.  Parents need to discuss many things more openly with their children from a younger age, simply to build trust and keep open lines of communication.  From my experience this is not a one time conversation, and rather a series of conversations (that I am still going through).  It can start with changes to our body when they need to start wearing deoderant or when a girl starts shaving her legs.  Explain how their bodies change, and why they change.  Sometimes books can be good, but it should not supplement a conversation.  You can use it to start a conversation, "I got this book about some things you might experience, after you have a chance to look at it, if you have any questions lets talk!"

3. rave1432 profile image60
    rave1432posted 5 years ago

Be straight forward. My parents didn't explain anything to me about that. But my girlfriend was taught and her mother was straight forward with her. The only problem is that you need to tell them not to go telling everyone else about it. That they need to keep that information to themselves. I had to find out on my own.