jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How can you get your child to care about his or her school work?

1. breastpumpreviews profile image81
    breastpumpreviewsposted 5 years ago

How can you get your child to care about his or her school work?

My child doesn't seem to care that he gets 50s on papers and grounding, taking away privileges hasn't helped.  He will do great while grounded but the minute he is ungrounded it's back to making bad grades again.

2. MsDora profile image96
    MsDoraposted 5 years ago

Have you tried rewarding him (perhaps weekly) instead of depriving him?  You shouldn't have to, but it will show him how important it is to you that he makes good grades.  For example,. when he asks for something he really likes, say that he will receive it as soon as his grade improves.

3. krillco profile image95
    krillcoposted 5 years ago

Kids learn to love learning by parents who demonstrate a love of learning. The WAY you are disciplining may be part of the problem. See my articles 'Stacked Consequences' and 'Three Important Parts of Consequences'.

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I know this is hard especially if you work all day.  But think of it this way, the child goes to school all day long, then has to come home and do homework - it just doesn't seem fair, does it?

Sit with your child at the kitchen table while he does his homework.  You could take a class and do your work at the same time, or catch up on household paperwork.  But stay with him and make sure he gets it done. 

No, grounding doesn't work.  My daughter's husband spent most of high school grounded due to grades and their punishment never accomplished anything but resentment.

Check his homework when it is done and praise him when he gets good grades and maybe a small reward.

5. larcaustin46 profile image86
    larcaustin46posted 5 years ago

We've always tied extracurricular activities to schoolwork--if it's obvious that our child isn't putting forth his/her best effort over time, then we start looking at cutting back on after school activities.  It works the other way, too--my son has been working on bringing up his grades in a couple of classes when I told him he could add an activity if he does.  It's more about the effort than the grades, though--some of his grades are low because he's not listening to instructions or rushing through his work to move on to a preferred activity. 

We also have homework time after school, where everyone sits together and works on homework or studies for upcoming tests.  I usually have work to do, or I read a good book while the kids are working.  They help each other out if necessary, and my oldest is allowed to contact a friend for help if the two of us can't figure something out.  This has been a wonderful opportunity for them to learn good study habits.