jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

What do you remember about growing up that is different now?

1. kingmaxler profile image60
    kingmaxlerposted 5 years ago

What do you remember about growing up that is different now?

Emphasis on the good times and possibly the pros and cons of both

2. fpherj48 profile image75
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

Bev....Where do I begin??!!   Just about everything is different now than when I grew up.  Since you've suggested we emphasize "good times" & discuss the pros & cons........I think I'll go with ......what kids did on the week-ends (during the day) for recreation...OK?  OK!   
    BACK IN THE DAY: Sat. morn, my sister and I would bounce out of bed early.  Not because we wouldn't have loved to "sleep in," but if we wanted to have any fun at all, we absolutely had to get our chores done....NON-gratis, btw.  "Allowance" was not an issue.  TODAY:  IF kids have chores, they are minimal and they receive an allowance. 
    When we were kids, weather permitting, we were outside constantly until dark.  We rode our bikes, roller skated, played baseball and croquet & all sorts of "crative" games we could think up.  I remember we even made lunch and ate outside. TODAY:  Most kids  can be found indoors, playing video games, on the computer or watching TV.........So, where's the fresh air & exercize in that?
    These are just 2 differences of so many......but, they're VERY different.

1. fpherj48 profile image75
      fpherj48posted 5 years agoin reply to this

OH MY!!.....Thank you so much, Bev!!   I am honored!!  Paula

3. FreezeFrame34 profile image76
    FreezeFrame34posted 5 years ago

I remember being a carefree child, and thinking that my mom was crazy for worrying about me all the time. Now that I am a parent, I worry about my daughter, probably more than my mother ever worried about me!

In the Good Old Days, we used to play outside with friends from sun up to sun down; walk back and forth to school; leave our cars and front doors unlocked when we went to the store; we used to trust people.

A lot has changed with the times; elementary school kids have I-phones; people are not as trustworthy will all of the negative attention with people doing illegal, bad things. Parent have to worry all the time now or else they would be neglectful.

4. Becky Katz profile image83
    Becky Katzposted 5 years ago

I was allowed to play outside and no one had to worry about me being kidnapped and raped. We played outside until bedtime. Then we would come in, take a quick shower and go to bed.
    I worry about my daughter every time she goes for a walk. I make her take the dog with her for more protection. I also make her take her cell so she can call 911. I won't let her go out for a walk after dark without someone with her. And we live in a fairly safe little town. I would be afraid to let her out at all if we lived in the city that I grew up in.

5. chelle877 profile image60
    chelle877posted 5 years ago

Punishment lol ! I do not punish my children the way I was punished.My mom issued out woopens.I mean I do too but it has to be something that is down right just flat out wrong of my child to do or if they have disrespected an adult of any ethnic.I have the patients to talk certain things out with my children and see where their mind are and why they did what they did or even if they had a good reason of doing what they did like defending themselves.I worry for my kids alot as to why I most of the time keep them around the house.Ivery now and then,like to make a little picnic with them and just sit out in the backyard and get some fresh air.Kids do need to run a let go sometimes and get all that energy they have burned out or your house will get messed up and all you have to fault for that is yourself.Though today,the streets are not like it used to be.You have people out here from all ages doing crimes of all kinds.

6. Nagatang profile image74
    Nagatangposted 5 years ago

During my time....70s....it so hard to afford an Ice Cream....now my kid could get it everyday. Cheers!