jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

At what age do you let your child play outside unsupervised?

1. FreezeFrame34 profile image76
    FreezeFrame34posted 5 years ago

At what age do you let your child play outside unsupervised?

I have a four-year old and live in a relatively safe neighborhood, but it's a townhouse subdivision. I'm the only parent that stays outside to supervise my daughter; feel the need to keep her safe. Am I being overprotective or normal?

2. the girls profile image83
    the girlsposted 5 years ago

Nope, you are doing the normal thing if you are asking my opinion. A four year old is too young to be left alone for their own safety :-)

3. wayseeker profile image93
    wayseekerposted 5 years ago

Can I say I wish it were more normal?  Four is way too young to go unsupervised.  We let our son, who is four, play in our backyard (enclosed) while someone is right there watching him out the window once in awhile.  If it were a townhome complex, we wouldn't do it.  I'd let my daughter play outside in the backyard and pay far less attention (almost 8), but I still wouldn't be too far away.

I sense a time coming soon when my daughter might be able to play in the front yard, too, without too much supervision...but I still think it may be as much as a year out.

I say good on you; keep it up!

4. Reds Sweets profile image57
    Reds Sweetsposted 5 years ago

You are being a GOOD parent! I have a 7 yr old who doesn't go outside unsupervised. These days, you can never be too cautious.