jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How would you encourage your grown children to move out ?

1. Joan King profile image72
    Joan Kingposted 5 years ago

How would you encourage your grown children to move out ?

Your children are all grown up, they have good jobs but they'd rather stay at home instead of moving into their own place. You like having them around but you also need to turn one of their bedrooms into an office. What do you do?

2. Author Cheryl profile image87
    Author Cherylposted 5 years ago

I would say make a list of all the good things about being on their own and the bad points.  The good will out weigh the bad.

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I think if my children had jobs and were helping with expenses, I would love having them around.

Ultimately it would depend on why they lived at home.  Am I somehow inhibiting them from living a full life or are they living at home because they enjoy our company?  I wouldn't want to be the cause of them not having a life.

We'd talk about it, get it all out on the table so-to-speak.  If they wanted to be there and helped out, I would embrace it.

4. spartucusjones profile image95
    spartucusjonesposted 5 years ago

According to the commercials you need to stop cooking with cheese.

5. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image97
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

I'd tell them that they either need to go to school, or start paying me for their room and board.  I would not cook for them or do their laundry, and I would insist they clean up after themselves. 

Once they find out they are no longer getting a free ride, they most likely will want to move out.

If that doesn't work, move...and don't give them a key to your new home!

6. fitmom profile image83
    fitmomposted 5 years ago

As others said, they would have to pay rent and help out around the house- do some of the cooking, their own laundry, and other chores. If they still wanted to stay, I'd be fine with it and would probably enjoy their company.

7. GypsyFootedWoman profile image73
    GypsyFootedWomanposted 5 years ago

I would say it’s a process over the course of their teenage years, not so much a game changing conversation one day requiring them to adjust rapidly.

Do this by preparing them mentally, emotionally and physically i.e. slowing adding responsibilities and expectations of an adult to their routine and impressing upon them the necessity and benefits of independence at a certain age.

When the time comes they thoughtfully and purposefully step out into the world prepared to face the trials of a young adult. Always understanding you are there for them should they need you, but feeling empoweed to face the hurtles by looking inward to their own resourcefulness.

8. Carlo Coronacion profile image54
    Carlo Coronacionposted 5 years ago

Do not encourage them moving out, encourage them to fulfill his/hers being as a better, responsible person and loving child.

Through that way you can drive him/her out of your house.

I am a son, it is hurting me going back where you were "encourged to move out"