jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How can a parent help an adult child with asperger's become successful in this w

1. meow48 profile image73
    meow48posted 5 years ago

How can a parent help an adult child with asperger's become successful in this world?

2. Catzgendron profile image73
    Catzgendronposted 5 years ago

Find local support groups, talking with other parents experiencing the same hurdles that you are may offer insight, give you tips to help your adult child.  Do some research, are there any programs that will teach them to learn differently. I myself have adult asperger's and have to write things down, it helps to keep me focused on what my next task is.  Are there job placement agencies in your city or town who offer specialized training, resume instructions, interview techniques or offer any kind of support for an adult child with asperger's.  Good Luck!!

3. lovelife08 profile image59
    lovelife08posted 5 years ago

I have Asperger's Syndrome, but I did not find out until recently, so as an Asperger's child, I was treated like a normal kid.

Looking back, there were some difficulties and some things were just a little off, but in being treated like any other child, I eventually trained myself to function more successfully in social settings as an adult.

In my opinion, all it takes is just a little more willpower than it might normally take. I prefer to be treated like a typical person, as opposed to being treated as if I have a mental disorder. It is a daily practice, but the older I get, and the more aware of the provisions of my condition become, the easier it gets.

The bottom line is...treat them as you would any other adult.

If you want to get right down to the details though, it helps me a LOT to have a daily schedule/routine. Having a to-do list helps tremendously as well. Finding ways to teach myself how to accomplish certain tasks helps. Focus is a hard one for me, so if my parents ask me to do some things, I have them give me each task one at a time. Telling me all of them at once won't work, because I can't focus that well and I will not remember what they were as soon as I begin the first one. But again, that's where a to-do list comes in handy.

Hope this helps!

4. smzclark profile image61
    smzclarkposted 5 years ago

Well, I can only suggest that you start by taking the 'child' out of 'adult'. The more someone is treated like a child, the more they will behave like one.