jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

If your adult child was an IRRESPONSIBLE parent who insist on raising his/her ch

1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 14 months ago

If your adult child was an IRRESPONSIBLE parent who insist on raising his/her children

w/little or no cultural, educational, intellectual, nor socioeconomic opportunities, what WOULD you do?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/9113238_f260.jpg

2. blessedp profile image80
    blessedpposted 14 months ago

I would try to be involved in the grandchildren's lives as much as possible.  Teaching them values and showing them a different perspective. Instilling these values and attributes in those children when they are in your company will somewhere along the line take root in those children.

Because grandma or grandpa planted the seeds of value that will grow as long as they are watered.

All the best.

3. tamarawilhite profile image89
    tamarawilhiteposted 14 months ago

The issue I have with the question is "You raised a child who became this type of parent. Are you then really capable of raising the grandchildren well?"
    Yes there are people who do really stupid stuff like join a cult and have the leader's baby, join a commune and have a child by whomever, choose to raise a child essential on their own at 15. And sometimes this is their choice, despite parental training. But if parental training contributed - maybe someone else should raise them.

4. Kim Bryan profile image95
    Kim Bryanposted 14 months ago

I would need you to define irresponsible before answering this.  I've learned a mother's idea of irresponsible and her daughter's ideas of such are often extremely varying.  Being different in opinion, however, does not equate to actually harmful to children.

5. fpherj48 profile image78
    fpherj48posted 14 months ago

If one has an adult child who is an irresponsible parent who refused to expose her child/children to education, culture, opportunities~~That person did a piss-poor job of raising that adult child!  I'd say she/he can just back off and shut up.  Take a look in the mirror and do some honest inventory.  You reap what you sow.  Where did this irresponsible, lazy adult parent come from?  Thin air?  Or...did you raise him/her?  Too late to speak up now!
    Here's a fact.  The apple does not fall far from the tree, unless it happens to be a freak of nature or rotten from day one!
    Very very RARE a child gets to adulthood and parenthood as a schmuck unless that's all he/she knew growing up!

working