jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why do mothers readily accept cow’s milk against donor mother’s milk for their b

1. Anjili profile image82
    Anjiliposted 5 years ago

Why do mothers readily accept cow’s milk against donor mother’s milk for their babies?

Mother’s milk is best for the baby. Why the discrimination?

2. breastpumpreviews profile image82
    breastpumpreviewsposted 5 years ago

I think mother's are turned off because the milk is produced by another human.  Other people's bodily fluids gross some people out.  If you get milk from a milk bank it is screened for diseases.

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Because somehow drinking cow breastmilk makes more sense to some mothers than drinking another human's breastmilk. I also think some mothers do not think about how formula is just that, powdered cow breastmilk with added nutrition. There are websites readily available that offer free breastmilk to mothers who can not afford to buy from banks. These mothers have been screened for disease and have doctor's paperwork to prove they are healthy. I donated several times to a woman locally who was unable to breastfeed her preemie. She had 3 women helping to feed her preemie.

4. Ciel Clark profile image75
    Ciel Clarkposted 5 years ago

This is a great question!  The only problem I would have using a donor's milk would be that I would wonder if the woman was being healthy.  Now that my children are older, I have the same question about cow's milk.  I'm pretty sure the cows are not drinking alcohol, but who knows what drugs they are given.

I heard there is cheese out there made from human milk-- it just sounds strange!  But I don't know why that would be any weirder than cheese from a different species...

5. sjones543 profile image59
    sjones543posted 5 years ago

I personally would not want my baby drinking another human's milk, I know that the foods the lactating woman is eating really affects the nutrients in the breast milk as well as if they are taking vitamins. Formula has a lot of supplements that are great for babies and although they don't have the same antibodies, it may have more supplemental value. How do you know what the woman is eating, if she is having a well rounded diet? I would also be kind of grossed out about how clean the lactating woman's nipples were and whether her hands were clean when she pumped and how cleanly her pumping "station" was. I breastfed for 3 months and know how an overproducing woman's nipples and breasts can smell if you don't keep up on changing your nursing pads.