jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

Is it unhealthy to drink milk and orange juice at the same time?

1. andrew savage profile image61
    andrew savageposted 5 years ago

Is it unhealthy to drink milk and orange juice at the same time?

2. SidKemp profile image95
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

It might be uncomfortable for some people with sensitive stomachs.

Orange juice is acidic, and is best digested quickly. Milk contains a lot of protein, which is hard to digest and takes longer.

If drinking the two at the same time is uncomfortable, drink the orange juice first. Then wait. How long? It depends. 5 minutes is enough for most people. But people with very sensitive stomachs may want to wait 20 minutes.

This is a good rule for any fruit, especially acidic ones - eat them first, wait 20 minutes before protein like a glass of milk or a meal.

But, for other people, it doesn't matter at all.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Unless you drink a huge amount of OJ and milk all at once, you won't throw up. HOWEVER, it is true that orange juice makes milk curdle. That's because orange juice is an acid and milk is a buffer, meaning that milk will, in a way, buffer the acidity of the orange juice, but in exchange, it makes the milk curdle. When you think about it though, that would mean that the milk also curdles because of stomach acid too, so really, it shouldn't make much of a difference.

4. misstoughcookie97 profile image69
    misstoughcookie97posted 5 years ago

I normally have a strong stomach but these two, one after each other, is my weakness. This mainly because I had this when I was little and then 've been paranoid ever since.

5. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 4 years ago

haven't try that combination before. Let me try that now... let you know whether I throw up or  not or maybe head to the toilet.....

6. pctechgo profile image75
    pctechgoposted 4 years ago

Have both orange juice and milk often on weekends, have not had a problem.

7. lennystein profile image57
    lennysteinposted 4 years ago

people have been drinking orange julious's for centuries wich is orange juice and milk so no. juice + milk can help your bloodpressure and your bowels if you have pooper problems or digestion problems such as choking on meat. juice, vegetables (also beans such as chilli), fiber and fruits help keep you regular.I personaly stay away from water and caffine and have switched to a diet of juice + milk (i also like cranberry juice + milk) and my bloodpressure went from always mid to high to 60-65 wich is athlete level. if you do not stir it, some juice will seperate in milk and harden, its not milk going bad or co-agulating. i have also noticed my energy levels have ballanced out and i do not have nod outs as badly drinking water or caffine. i am also addicted to orange sherbert icecream milkshakes.

8. KenDeanAgudo profile image81
    KenDeanAgudoposted 3 years ago

Yes, it would have chemical reaction and you might get internal hemorrhage/bleeding because orange juice is acidic and might cause chemical reaction inside your body.

Just like mentos and cola, when both eaten, it might cause reaction (basically explosion) which was aired before in the news tv.

9. Thelma Alberts profile image91
    Thelma Albertsposted 3 years ago

I have not tried that before. I don´t really know unless I´ll try it.

10. Lady Guinevere profile image60
    Lady Guinevereposted 3 years ago

I do not think it is harmful.  There is that delicious ice cream call the Dreamsicle that is milk with a layer of Orange Juice.

11. StoneCircle profile image88
    StoneCircleposted 3 years ago

My garndmother has a glass of each at every breakfast for the past 92 years and hasn't killed her yet, so I am going with No.

12. profile image60
    Assayvposted 10 months ago

Its not unhealthy but it can cause stomach pains

13. BNHook profile image83
    BNHookposted 4 months ago

Can't seem to get past the "why?" aspect lol

working