jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

As a parent, how important do you think it is to write your will? When, ideally

1. GoodLady profile image94
    GoodLadyposted 5 years ago

As a parent, how important do you think it is to write your will?  When, ideally?

Would you wait until your children are late teens, or later?  How important do you think it is to 'get things straight' before your eventual death, (no matter how little or more you possess).

2. adjkp25 profile image92
    adjkp25posted 5 years ago

We had a will done when we had kids.  My wife and I talked about who we would want to take the kids if something happened to us.  The last thing we wanted was uncertainty between my family and her's about where the kids should go, it would have been a difficult time for them anyway.

3. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

The moment children are born there should be a will. I had mine done when my first child was born and it has been updated each time I have had a child. I couldn't imagine leaving every one confused if I was to die early.

4. A. Scott Walton profile image61
    A. Scott Waltonposted 5 years ago

Very important. Early and (revised) often.

5. marriagefortoday profile image70
    marriagefortodayposted 5 years ago

It's important to write your will at the earliest opportunity. We personally don't feel there is a particular time frame to do it. Obviously, if there are healthy issues that play a part of being at risk, then the emphasis on time takes precidence.

Yes, the amount of posessions is not as important as the process of doing it. Of course, if one is wealthy, then it is usually an integral part of a lifestyle to always have backup systems in place no matter of the age.

www.marriagefortoday.com

6. Millionaire Tips profile image93
    Millionaire Tipsposted 5 years ago

While anytime is a good time to write a will, some are better than others. read more

7. Gemini Fox profile image91
    Gemini Foxposted 5 years ago

Definitely as soon as you have children.  But it's not something you should wait to do only if you have children (if that is what the question is meaning).  As soon as you own anything of any real value (such as a home) you should write a will, or set up a living trust, so that there is less confusion should anything happen to you.

8. glmclendon profile image59
    glmclendonposted 5 years ago

You need a will it saves problems at the time of death. After the will is in order, I think you should keep a good update about every three to five years, because conditions change in your home and business.

9. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 5 years ago

A Will should be written if you own lots of properties and companies so that you want it to be divided among your children. It is important to do that early as we do not know when we will pass away.

It may not be a nice topic to talk about for some but in reality, it should be done as soon as possible otherwise it will be quite a hassle for the children to get hold of your possession after you have departed.

10. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I think that all parents should have a will whether their kids are babies or adults.  It should outline who will care for them and how the estate will be distributed.  I think is is important so that there is no confusion or argument about what needs to be done.  I would hate for my death to cause problems in the family in terms of who gets what and end up with some kind of rift between children...when both want Aunt Martha's teapot or whatever.

11. tammybarnette profile image60
    tammybarnetteposted 5 years ago

I believe it's important right away, as soon as they are born. Granted things will change over time, but there is no promise of tomorrow.

12. GoodLady profile image94
    GoodLadyposted 5 years ago

I'd say it is important to make a will when your children are born.   I'd add that I think it's an important thing to do with your lawyer when you marry.
    In the unfortunate event of your death, there would be no confusion regarding your affairs and possessions.
    It's a good idea to update your will every few years.

working