jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

For those of you whose kids have grown and left home, how did you feel with thei

1. LaThing profile image72
    LaThingposted 5 years ago

For those of you whose kids have grown and left home, how did you feel with their departure?

2. gingerbuzz profile image60
    gingerbuzzposted 5 years ago

My kid no longer lives with me, part of me is very sad as it's kind of like losing an arm. Routines and life just change overnight and all of a sudden your reason for living and your whole focus changes. Thats a huge thing to come to terms with.
    Suddenly your left with just YOU and figuring out who you are is the next big challenge. But then as i said in my last article sometimes it's just hard opening new doors!

1. ThussaysNanaMarie profile image74
      ThussaysNanaMarieposted 5 years agoin reply to this

So true!

3. ThussaysNanaMarie profile image74
    ThussaysNanaMarieposted 5 years ago

Gutted. It was not so bad when the first left then the second then the fourth who left for university butwhen the thierd left I founs myself taking the long way home from work.

1. gingerbuzz profile image60
      gingerbuzzposted 5 years agoin reply to this

shame, i just wrote a hub on it. Are you still taking the long way home?

4. TheCranberryBarn profile image71
    TheCranberryBarnposted 5 years ago

Happy and sad all at the same time. 

There comes a time when it's time for your kids to move on.  It's a good thing because you get to live your own life more.  Not such a good thing when they move so far away that you can't share holidays, etc... with them.

On the flip side, it's tough when you see your kids are ready to move out, but they don't.  That brings on a completely different level of frustration.

5. HughC profile image77
    HughCposted 5 years ago

I was devastated when they left, 2 of them, 2 years apart, devastated until I realized my life was my own again. Now I love it. I see the kids once or twice a week, dinner or fishing, or whatever, and we remain close but I'm no longer chauffer/cook/slave.

6. landscapeartist profile image77
    landscapeartistposted 5 years ago

When my eldest left home, I cried for days.  She was my rock and I felt so lost with her gone.  Since I was 17 yrs old, It had always been the kids and I.  That may sound mean considering the fact that somewhere in the mixture of things I had married, but, I had set my mind to thinking that the only ones I could count on during hard times was my children.  When my second left a few years later, I didn't feel as lost, but I felt useless.  I was slowly coming to the realization that I was no longer needed.  I know that it is not true.  We all need our parents no matter how old we are, but one can't help but feel that way sometimes.
    My youngest is 12 and he already is independent.  He sometimes gives me the feeling that I am not needed even now.  I already am on that long way home, and he hasn't even left the nest yet.  I am learning for the first time how to stand on my own, and it's the hardest thing I have ever done.

working