Have you ever saved a life? Whose? .. and how?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 11 years ago

Have you ever saved a life? Whose? .. and how?

2. adawnmorrison profile image60
    adawnmorrisonposted 11 years ago

When I was five I jumped into a pool to pull out my three-year-old neighbor. She then accused me of pushing her in (her mom saw the whole thing and knows I didn't).

Rochelle Frankposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Perception is sometimes skewed in times of stress. It's nice to know that her mom knew the truth.

3. whonunuwho profile image54
    whonunuwhoposted 11 years ago

I don't know that I have saved lives in my profession as a teacher of special needs children, but I would like to think that my suffering abuses and hardships, and leading many forward in their lives, have helped in some ways to save them and their futures. I have experienced the joy of meeting some after graduation, and seeing how they have become responsible adults with families, that they support with great love and devotion. There are few more gratifying experiences in my adult life, as I have found in working with those kids who showed to me that they appreciated me, and what I tried to do for them.

It's not the same as yanking someone out of the path of a bus, but nevertheless, every bit as valid. As teachers, we often never know how far our influences reach and, yes, it can certainly change and sometimes save a life.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

I yanked one of my friends out of the path of an oncoming bus. We had just gotten off of another bus and my friend stepped off the curb to cross the street. He had headphones on and didn't hear another bus coming up the road, nor did he hear me yell out his name to warn him, so I grabbed the collar of his jacket and pulled him back onto the curb just as it roared by.

...I drank for free for quite a while after that whenever we hung out...

I know that my mom literally saved my life with a good catch as I started to fly out of the back door of a moving car. I now think, I should have bought her more drinks.

5. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 11 years ago

i have two times. i won't say how but it was one time a young kid about 14 years old and the other time a girl around 19.

6. iggy-kun profile image57
    iggy-kunposted 11 years ago

I haven't, but my mom did. it was like a year ago, my grandma had a heart attack or something along the lines of that, and she went unconscious and wasn't breathing. my mother happened to be there at the time and did CPR on her until the medics came. I'm really glad I wasn't there to witness it, though. she would have died if my mom wasn't there.

7. IDONO profile image60
    IDONOposted 11 years ago

As a recovering alcoholic, I don't believe I've saved any lives. But everyday, I try to teach someone in need, how to save their own. I do this by sharing my past history along with my path to recovery. Who? Anyone that asks.
         It's amazing, but people save other people's lives everyday but just don't know it. Nowadays, many people are self- destructive in so many ways. A simple smile or greeting  or compliment can make the difference whether someone wants to live or not. If we get out of ourselves, we can all be life savers.

8. AlanRimmer profile image66
    AlanRimmerposted 11 years ago

At age thirteen I jumped into a reservoir to save the life of my younger brothers friend who had fallen in from a platform and couldn't swim. He had already started to sink but I managed to get hold of him and tow him to the edge where one of my friends dragged him onto the bank. Someone had seen it and ran to a call box to call an ambulance. He was taken to hospital as a precaution but was allowed to go home later after the doctors were satisfied he was ok. I didn't see it as a big deal but I was a hero to his family for a while after.

9. cam8510 profile image91
    cam8510posted 11 years ago

I pulled a young boy from a pond when his legs got tangled in weeds.

10. profile image57
    kdawsonposted 11 years ago

I did a hitch in the Coast Guard when saving lives was my job.  But I wonder, how many times do we save lives merely by holding children back from traffic or guiding them around trouble?  As a two time father I imagine I've done it quite a bit.  You don't think of it that way of course.

You are right kdawson,it comes naturally. Being a parent is a never-ending series  of actions to keep them safe and healthy... just as our parents did for us.

11. cakeinthemorn profile image60
    cakeinthemornposted 11 years ago

When I was a lifeguard in high school, I was watching the pool like always when a little girl jumped in the pool while her parents were watching.  I went all the way and scooped her up and got the water out so she could breath again.  Not the most thrilling story, but water accidents with kids happen all the time and I am glad that I was there to prevent another one from occurring.

I just read through the answers here already, and lots are water related!!  Way to go, everyone!  Those darn pools, rivers, lakes, swaps, and reservoirs are out to get cha!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)