jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How do you impart values to your kids?

1. sharmav profile image59
    sharmavposted 5 years ago

How do you impart values to your kids?

2. sir_tallest profile image63
    sir_tallestposted 5 years ago

i think values on kids can be done if the parent pay attention to their kids and teach values

3. LaThing profile image75
    LaThingposted 5 years ago

By being an example for them. Children look up to their parents, specially at an early age, they will do what you do, and will understand 'double standard' if you practice it!

4. profile image0
    Team Leaderposted 5 years ago

Hello Sharma,

I agree with LaThing. If parents are good people and lead by example then the children will (once they made it through the crazyness of puperty :-) truly respect them and will follow their example to some degree.

Everyone should have the right to develop their own value system but I believe that values such as 'Respect' and 'Honesty' should be adhered to by all people.

Your 'Team Leader'

5. petenali profile image87
    petenaliposted 5 years ago

Repetition, repetition and.... repetition.  BUT, BUT, BUT it must be reinforced by them seeing you live out what you teach.  They will model their lives on the example set before them (good or bad), and they are watching you even when you are not watching yourself.
    I heard a story about a father who was playing some hockey in his basement with his two sons.  The dad was left handed and his sons were right handed.  After playing for a little while, the dad realized that his 4 year old had switched hands to play left handed like his dad albeit not his natural way of doing things.  The moral is that kids will copy their parents, so set forth good habits and values for them to imitate.

6. profile image0
    alloporusposted 5 years ago

Boundaries, they need boundaries both physical and emotional. This gives them a safe place in which to play and a way to know when they are pushing the limits. This helps them to understand their own values that will be different to their parents, yet must still align to some degree with those of the society where they must live. Easy to say, not so easy to do.

working