How do you encourage your kids to excel?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Craan profile image82
    Craanposted 11 years ago

How do you encourage your kids to excel?

2. ChitrangadaSharan profile image94
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years ago

Kids have to be motivated, but they should not be pushed too much by comparing them with other kids. The kids generally follow their parents, so parents should become good examples for them. Each child is unique. Their talents should be identified and then channelized. Even little achievements should be praised so as to encourage them. This makes them excel in whatever they do.

1. profile image0
      Lizam1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Chitangada Sharan.  Well said.

3. StephanieBCrosby profile image79
    StephanieBCrosbyposted 11 years ago

I encourage my kids by setting an example. While they are still really young, only 3- and 4-years old, I lead by example. They see me reading and working all the time. And this leads to them picking up a book, magazine or paper to "be like mommy." If I am typing, they will often get out their computers and start "typing" along. Children really do absorb a lot more than we are often aware of. And subtle examples can add up to a huge impact.

1. Laura Schneider profile image84
      Laura Schneiderposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Excellent answer! You are a good mom!

2. profile image0

Lovely - lucky childtren:-)

4. Laura Schneider profile image84
    Laura Schneiderposted 11 years ago

I don't have kids, but if I did I would encourage him by stepping back and trusting his instincts while keeping him safe from actual harm. If I trust my kid, she is less likely to betray that trust than if I distrust her from the start. Demonstrate--really demonstrate--what it means to "excel" myself, from the child's earliest age until well into adulthood, and my kid is likely to follow--if not directly in my footsteps, then in his own excellent direction. Always assume my kid can't or won't fail in anything she undertakes, and she never will disappoint me. I measure his success in terms of how far along HIS chosen path he has come and the obstacles he has endured and overcome. I would champion HER ideas of success and excellence while demonstrating my own as her role model. I guess, no matter the age of the child, those are the main things: be a good role model, keep the kid safe, but give her the freedom and support she needs to succeed in her own ways.

1. profile image0

Sometime we learn by failing at something for example I failed math but I am great at writing and art and creative pursuits.  Failing math, in my opinion, does not mean I am a disappointment to someone or that I am not a success.

2. Laura Schneider profile image84

Exactly, Lizam1! Failing gracefully in something is another important way of demonstrating excellence to your kids, especially if you encourage them to get the math grades you couldn't. (Kids love challenges.)

5. kidscrafts profile image73
    kidscraftsposted 11 years ago

Be positive of every success they obtain!  Kids are eager to be loved and appreciated!

6. profile image0
    Lizam1posted 11 years ago

I take an interest in the things my children wish to pursue and I don't push them.  I model balance about academic/recreational and other activities.  Being the best you can be and enjoying the activities are, in my opinion, more important than excelling.  They will naturally excel in some areas and not in others.

Lizam1, I respectfully disagree. I think that what you just said, "Being the best you can be..." while enjoying life DEFINES excellence! It's not about being the brightest kid in class on a particular subject, it's about doing YOUR best. Win-win!

2. profile image0

Oh yes, that is true Laura.  I was addressing the possibility that I often see as a parenting educator with parents pushing only excellence in everything and ending up with stressed out and anxiety ridden children and teens.

3. Laura Schneider profile image84

I know what you mean. "Stage parents" or "sports parents". Poor kids if that's their lot in life--a parent living out his/her dreams through their kids. Or maybe it's a competition with other parents: my kid's better than yours... Sad. Very sad.

7. ARSHAD MAJID profile image79
    ARSHAD MAJIDposted 11 years ago

Lots of praise; even if they make a small achievement in right direction. They will perform automatically in areas that they were not performing good, to receive same applause and recognition.

8. cjpooja26 profile image62
    cjpooja26posted 11 years ago

Kids always love appreciation for what they have done and appreciation and guiding in the correct direction encourages kids. Just make them mentally prepare that they can achieve everything with hardwork.

Excellent points--"hard work" needs to be demonstrated more often to kids. While kids enjoy appreciation, adults shouldn't need it to achieve success. Getting a kid from childhood to adulthood--independence--involves preparing them for hard work.

9. Kmorris08 profile image61
    Kmorris08posted 11 years ago

Craan,

This is an ongoing struggle for me with my progressive three year old. She is a typical three year old that loves to wiggle, dance, and learn. My issue is she is far advanced for her age... So going to the store and buying educational toys ends up more like a month excursion to choose what she will actually be interested in. To give you an idea of what I am talking about she is: doing 2nd grade curriculum, likes princess, but also loves to watch Captain America in her camo shirt and pink tutu. Its a blur! But I am constantly trying to keep education exciting.

I guess to answer your question in a general way (I am not sure where your looking for your child to excel) I would have to say find what they are interested in and incorporate that into where ever it is you want them to excel. For example if sports are the main focus and they are a teenager find out who they idolize and give your child the building blocks of what their idol does for fitness. Or if it is schooling... Again find an interest, for my daughter that is princesses, and incorporate the learning experience into a regular daily activity. Taking education outside away from a desk or surrounding them with it by hanging murals in their bedrooms will remind them daily of what their goals should be. 

Make any goal fun. If you take fun out of life they will lose interest and you will lose interest in helping. Find common ground with your child and explore the subject area together... My daughter and I watch learning videos on YouTube while we eat breakfast. We have learned many things from counting to how fast people sneeze and why. Again FUN FUN for both of you will go a long way.

Good luck to you and please keep me posted. I would love to swing some more conversations on this subject. Thank you for the question.

1. Craan profile image82
      Craanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you K Morris! I recently married and my husband and I are thinking of adopting, since we both have a grown-up child from a first marriage. My daughter lives in Germany and his son is sadly distant. We want to have children of our own to grow as

Cool! Sounds like your child might thrive in "gifted" programs! Check out www.us.mensa.org/ for guidance (esp. on toys). Contact her schools now. Encourage her multiple interests--focus probably isn't workable for a gifted child. (I was one.) Luck!

10. KoraleeP profile image60
    KoraleePposted 11 years ago

I believe the most important thing is to treat them like the person you know they can be, not as they are. This mind-set will cause you to naturally give them positive feed back, and encouragement. It's all in your attitude. Example: Instead of saying I wish you would do your chores, but I know you won't get yourself off the couch; You can tell them you can't wait to see what a great job they're going to do and stress some quality they have that will make them excel. This also works for school work. If they have an essay to write don't tell them that they probably won't put in enough effort, as usual. You could tell them that you can't wait to read it because they have such a unique view of people, or whatever the essay is about.

Awesome! I use this trick when managing employees/team members: praising them in advance for the work that you know they can do. Works magic! Example introduction, "Yes and Fred, here, is our expert at ____". Soon, Fred makes that come true.

11. xpressrite profile image59
    xpressriteposted 11 years ago

Hi Craan,
    As a parent I had a philosophy I used with all my children.  It was basically "Reach for the moon--if you miss,  you'll still be among the stars".  This is because I believe that we truly under utilize most of our potential.  (All of us).
    Getting children to believe that they can become whatever they want to channels their efforts and creativity, and motivates them to try.  They at some point have to derail some ideas, but I believe that is easier done when they believe they have lots of talent and options and can capitalize on their unique strength.  Getting them to try and believe is the rub.  Their is so much available--for them to utilize that the world is theirs!!!!!!  Go for it!!!

1. Craan profile image82
      Craanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I love your reasons and quote Xpressrite! Thank you!

I love, "Getting children to believe that they can become whatever they want". I, too, think that's essential. To get them to believe... ask what she thinks she CAN'T do, then tell her to really pretend that she CAN and go do it! Success!

12. ZIa Ahmed khan profile image37
    ZIa Ahmed khanposted 11 years ago

Yes, we encourage, train and work with them so that they can excel.

13. Gabriel Wilson profile image94
    Gabriel Wilsonposted 11 years ago

By example, with encouragement and never with expectation. With love and foresight and always being present. Knowing when more is less and less is more. Understanding your child and who they are; who they are going to be. By teaching, listening and talking.
    Most of all; from the day your child is born work on your relationship and make sure your child has trust in you; make them feel safe and always tell your child: I love you. You can never tell your child that you love them too many times.
    We are all someones child, it's good to be told we're loved smile

1. kidscrafts profile image73
      kidscraftsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So true!  You never can tell them enought that you love them.  I never heard my parents that they loved me....but I did my best for my kids!  Even if they are in their thirties now, I continue to tell them!

2. profile image0

Lovely answer.  My mum now 85 still says I love you and I love telling her that back.

14. MarleneB profile image93
    MarleneBposted 11 years ago

Loving who they are, as they are. I let my kids know that they are in charge of the consequences of their decisions. I don't have to say much to steer them in the right direction. If I see them making good decisions, I always give them verbal acknowledgement. At the same time, if I see them making questionable decisions, I ask them to think about all the things that could happen down the road if they make this or that decision. I don't jump in with, 'You're wrong!' Instead, I ask them to think about whether or not they would be happy living with the consequences of their decision. Nine times out of ten, they make the right decision. Treating my kids with respect and letting them be the owner of their decisions (and not me telling them what to do) encourages them to grow well and excel.

Awesome answer, MarleneB! That's how I was raised, too. My parents never held me back, they just held me safe (with words or otherwise) and encouraged careful thought before making decisions..

15. DDE profile image44
    DDEposted 11 years ago

I encouraged my child  in the many aspects of learning but never pressured him into any learning from day one he turned out to be a very intelligent and positive. His efforts in learning was simple he made it that way by himself.

Sounds like you've got one great kid, DDE! Good job! (Maybe he's gifted even? Maybe he can take some special classes because of it? Just a thought/wish for you.)

16. A. Riter profile image60
    A. Riterposted 11 years ago

Support their interests and don't push them too hard. Childhood is a period in everyone's life where they should be appreciated for who they are and not for who you want them to be. Steer yourself away from the idea that you know how your children should be, what they should be doing and how well, and just accept your children for who they are. And tell them how much you love them all the time. There's nothing like feeling loved to instill confidence in a young child and confidence in their own abilities is what will get them through life. As they grow, they will change - during teenage years considerably and not always in the direction you want - and it is paramount to their well being (and yours) that you love the child you have and not the one you want. Children will excel by their own efforts and in their own time; the worst thing you could do is to load them up with YOUR expectations - that will only lead to failure and self-destruction in the long run.

Bravo! Well said, A. Riter! We all know THAT parent, and it's a nightmare for parent and child!

17. peachpurple profile image84
    peachpurpleposted 11 years ago

i encourage my kids to read more books and do homework. Don't put off "later on i will do it" habit. I also do my own "homework" by writing out drafts of my hubs and read more books. Hence, my kids followed me by taking out their books and read them. As for homework, they requested me to stay beside them. Still not independent yet. I also encourage my kids to mix with other children since they are quiet type. Not easy but kids out there are brave and daring.

Yet another great mom, peachpurple! Your kids are VERY lucky to have you as their guiding light.

18. pstraubie48 profile image81
    pstraubie48posted 11 years ago

Just do it.
    Highlight what you see within them that are their strengths.
    Sincere praise is so very powerful.
    Many children blossom and grow in an environment where praise is abundant. And that means, giving credit for trying and reminding them that of that old saying...if at first you don't succeed..try try again.
    Tough love to an extent comes into play...make it clear you do not expect perfection. But you do expect him or her to be the best that he or she can do
    Show interest, sincere interest in what they are working on in school and outside of school. Provide the support that is needed for success to occur.

pstraubie48, you're another great mom! Your kids are so lucky to have a mom with expectations of personal excellence from the child: not winning, necessarily, but doing the best they can. I  like the way you think!.

19. C.V.Rajan profile image60
    C.V.Rajanposted 11 years ago

I know other than encouragement, so many other things are needed for them to excel. What I could succeed in one thing was to instal MS-Office in their computer so that "excel" is there available for them!

You made me laugh, but you're definitely right: computers are immensely important! Kids need to get an early start (preschool) in order to "Excel". If a kid can't use a computer, it's a disaster: almost all jobs in the US require computer skills.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)