jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What should be done for the unmarried women who were forced or tricked into givi

1. buckleupdorothy profile image82
    buckleupdorothyposted 5 years ago

What should be done for the unmarried women who were forced or tricked into giving up their babies?

As late as the 1980s, young unmarried women in the US, the UK, Ireland, Australia, etc. were forced or tricked into giving up their babies, not knowing they had a choice. Some were told their babies had died. How can the church or state make amends? What, if anything, can be done for them and their estranged children?

2. profile image0
    donnaMhicksposted 5 years ago

Every effort should be made for the mothers and children to be re-connected. This is not like cases of mothers who have had children taken away from them and adopted because of child neglect and abuse. This was forced upon them. I had a friend who was locked up as a juvenile (back then they locked you up for running away from home and other minor offenses). She was pregnant and it was policy that incarcerated juvenile mothers had their children taken away right at the hospital. The mothers went back to the girl's reform school and the children were all adopted out.
    There may be some who do not wish to have a relationship, but they should at least have the opportunity to know the truth about what happened and make that decision for themselves.
    Those responsible should publicly acknowledge that this happened and should pay for expenses related to finding these children.
    Just my opinion.

3. LanaLu profile image61
    LanaLuposted 5 years ago

Every case is different... Back in the late 80's having a child out of wedlock was an unthinkable crime and women were forced to give up their children so that the family is not put to shame; however, the world was still civilized enough for women to make up their own mind. If a mother and child were separated by force then the mother should do all that is possible to reunite with her child, but if the child was given up for adoption and is currently living a happy and healthy life with the adopted family, than they should not cause conflict because at the end of the day it was a choice they made themselves. Everyone will have a different opinion on the subject but I cannot imagine a life without my mom, and I have friends who were adopted and continuously ask question about who they are and where they come from. Sometimes reconnecting might be the best thing for both mother and child and other time could potentially be the worst. We are living n a highly civilized world, all it takes is the right decision and not only for selfish reason because the child who was given away should always be considered.

4. Jackie Lynnley profile image88
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 5 years ago

To be told it died, someone should go to jail! Tricking otherwise they should be reunited or given that option or at least able to check on the child to know it is OK and then decide what would be best.

5. Dardia profile image76
    Dardiaposted 5 years ago

I wish I had a better answer for this. It is a crime what has been done to these women. The people who took the babies away are criminals. I agree with donnaMhicks.

For the future changing the attitude that pregnancy is a sin would be a starter, also assuming it would ruin the girl's life. What is wrong with being there to support the new mother to be and her child? Helping them to have and enriching and nurturing home is what should be done.

working