jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How often do you read with your children?

1. breathe2travel profile image78
    breathe2travelposted 5 years ago

How often do you read with your children?

2. Karen Banes profile image87
    Karen Banesposted 5 years ago

Every day. Usually some fiction at bedtime and non fiction in snatches during the day. We also listen to audio books together and I get them to read to me while I'm cooking!

3. sadie423 profile image93
    sadie423posted 5 years ago

Everyday here too. Throughout the day and at beditme.

4. VirginiaLynne profile image98
    VirginiaLynneposted 5 years ago

I've read to my children every day before bed for 20 min to an hour until they hit Jr. High.  When they were preschoolers, we read before nap time too.  I would go to the library with a laundry basket to get our books!  All of them have become fabulous readers, and what is very interesting is that they also are excellent at reading with great expression aloud--even though I almost never had them read to me!  My two oldest have gone into theater in high school too.  Personally, I think this is the most important education you can give to your children.

5. Eviejo profile image61
    Eviejoposted 5 years ago

When my 3 children were growing up, I read them a chapter each night out of many books, but their favorites were "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawles and "The Thief of Always" by Clive Barker. Growing up, they always had a passion for reading that carried on into their adulthood.  All 3 of my children had college level reading skills by the time they reached the end of elementary school and they are passing that love of reading on to my 3 grandsons. I read to my grandchildren when they spend the weekends with me or when I go visit.  I think the love of reading and books is important to instill in a child because it sparks their imagination and makes them think. The video games and movies out now may entertain them for awhile, but none make them truly think for themselves. I always asked my children and grandchildren questions as to what they would do  in the situations we came across in our literary journeys, and I always got some interesting answers. Books make the mind think. They will outlive any video game or computer program anyone can come up with.

6. Keith Ham profile image61
    Keith Hamposted 5 years ago

I personally don't have children, however, I have godchildren in-which I do read to quite a bit with my fiancée.

The funniest fact about this is that when she attempts to dramatize voices, the kids get terrified that she is mad at them.

7. rdown profile image74
    rdownposted 5 years ago

Every day, several times a day.  I wrote a hub about it...if you are interested here is the link
    http://rdown.hubpages.com/hub/Say-No-to … n-for-Baby

I think reading is one of the most important things you should do for your child(ren).

8. profile image50
    Camero68posted 5 years ago

I read to them everyday or as much as I can. I make sure that they will do their homework right. I like that I can personally suggest  and choose good books and stories to them. Whenever we are out, we check on new books at every bookstores. They always want books as presents.

working