jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What is the best way to discipline a child?

1. jeanniedoe profile image57
    jeanniedoeposted 5 years ago

What is the best way to discipline a child?

If the child commits a mistake like breaking a flower vase what what will you do to child so discipline him?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6715852_f260.jpg

2. Frenchtoast78 profile image60
    Frenchtoast78posted 5 years ago

Of course the child didn't intend to break the vase but they just couldn't handle things that are fragile. I won't scold my son for breaking a vase but i would explain to him what fragile things are and why he shouldn't be playing with them. If you scold a child for that simple thing, he will develop some fears without knowing the reason why.

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

If it was an accident, I wouldn't discipline him.  Why would you?  Accidents happen.

4. profile image0
    mefajf07300302posted 5 years ago

agreed with the first 2 answers.. there's a small like of accident and on purpose breaking something is mere accident ... our 3 year old is clumsy and tends to break a lot of little trinkets. BUT if the child was throwing a TANTRUM and did it that's different. Get down to your child's level Explain what he/she did wrong and put him/her in timeout. 1 minute per age. (I.E. 3 years old gets 3 minutes) If he/she gets out of timeout return them back without talking and start time over... after being in time out get back down to their level and have them explain what they did and appologies hugs and kisses... IF they refuse to talk to you after their time is up make them stay in time out until they will talk.
    BUT know your line... Don't discipline a child if they mistakenly break something.. have you ever broken anything?

5. Elskemek profile image39
    Elskemekposted 5 years ago

There are two ways to handle a child when something like that handles in my opinion.
    -Punishment
    -Discipline

When you punish a child, obviously it is out of anger. Punishment only harms a child because it is a negative way to teach them what to do and what not to do.

Discipline is a way of correcting their bad behavior by saying "This is to keep you from hurting yourself or someone else."

As most people know, Discipline is the best approach when dealing with anyone, especially children.

There are also two ways to discipline a child.
    -Negative reinforcement
    -Positive reinforcement

A story i like to use is when i ask children what they want to do when they are older. Once a little girl said Veterinarian. I told her that was awesome because i too love animals. When i asked the next girl what she wanted to do she also replied with Veterinarian. The odds both girls wanted to be that on their own is simple. But then after hearing our approval of the girls being vets, the children who had given different answers actually changed it and started saying, "I want to be a veterinarian too!" Children, like adults, seek approval.

If you give a child a cookie or a sticker every time they do something good, it makes them want to do the good to get the reward and praise. Everyone enjoys and craves some type of praise.

If however, you spank a child for every bad, there is no motivation. If they stop doing the bad, it is only out of fear(granted sometimes rebellion.

If a child does something simple like the above picture, i would never punish or discipline them unless it was on purpose. Even then i would be careful. Because doing so would cause them to be afraid and they might hide it the next time they accidently or purposefully do something wrong. Which we all know is bad.

6. profile image53
    pinapple123posted 4 years ago

I would subtract $2.00 every week from his/her friday allowance until the vase is paid and I can buy a new one. Vases are not that important. People are. Or should be anyway. If they are not. You have issues and you deserve all the child can do to you.

7. Jordan Shaw profile image61
    Jordan Shawposted 18 months ago

If it was an accident I wouldn't discipline him either. He is a child and they are going to knock off, break or spill things on an accident. I wouldn't take away from his allowance.Every family is different and  goes about things differently. If it was my son that did that I would just tell him we have to be careful around glass objects because they are sharp and would cut you.

8. DominiqueCM profile image60
    DominiqueCMposted 3 months ago

It depends on the child and the situation. If it was an accident, then I don't think it's the end of the world. Just let it go. But if it wasn't, then it depends on what the child did.

working