jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Are absentee fathers to blame for the upsurge of effeminate mannerism among boys

1. Anjili profile image84
    Anjiliposted 5 years ago

Are absentee fathers to blame for the upsurge of effeminate mannerism among boys?

Today’s man does things that men of yesterday would never be caught doing, dead or alive. What is not happening correctly?

2. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

Men and women are evolving.  Men are now able to openly show affection to their children, to play with them, to express a full range of emotions, and to help around the home.  Women are able to be intelligent, independent and bread winners - welcome to a modern century.  Most women today don't want a caveman.  Not sure what "effeminate mannerisms" you are referring to.  It takes all types of men and women to make the world go around.  I will take an expressive, well-groomed, and progressive man any day.  I think my husband is a perfect example.  He is very well mannered, polite and soft spoken.  He is kind to others, intelligent and expressive.  He has a whatever degree he's on blackbelt in Aikido though and I know he can still do the "manly" thing and keep us safe and he also has a strong work ethic.  He's got a good blend of stuff going on wink - that's what I like in a man or a woman.  Prissy women are no fun either - I think it's high time we blend the best of both and stop relying on outdated gender roles.

Anjiliposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You definitely know him well

3. arrowgreen profile image57
    arrowgreenposted 5 years ago

it's a huge factor yes.  but it may also depend on the person the kid is always with. it's more on who's present in my opinion.

4. SallyTX profile image84
    SallyTXposted 5 years ago

I'm not sure where I read this, but they're thinking it may also have to do with estrogen in meat and chemicals in other foods and beverages causing feminine characteristics in males. The article I read was more focused on physical characteristics than mannerisms. Apparently, there is quite a bit of trouble with young boys developing breasts and gaining weight in a way that is considered feminine rather than masculine.

Anjiliposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think we need more research on this issue

5. jcdelfinoiii profile image74
    jcdelfinoiiiposted 5 years ago

I believe it goes deeper then just this, absetee parents both mothers and fathers are why mannerism is falling with both boys and girls.  Most households today have both parents working, with both parents working the kids are left to fend for themselves.  The parents come home are tired and often sit in front of the tv while the kids are in their bedrooms playing video games or worse yet gone from the home seeing attention elsewhere.  This is even worse for single parent households where the parent often has to work multiple jobs just to survive.  Mannerism and childhood delinquency will continue to rise as long as both parents are absent from the home.

6. alancaster149 profile image85
    alancaster149posted 5 years ago

Could be. Then again a father doesn't need to be an absentee for the boy to take on effeminate traits. If the mother turns out to be the dominant factor in the household, the boy might take his cue from her. It's only when both the mother AND father have equal input in the eyes of the son(s) that a balance is achieved. It doesn't mean a boy has to behave like an automaton and not show emotion, because a boy who feels he can't show emotion may be emotionally crippled and is in just as much danger of 'turning' as a boy who perhaps takes on the mannerisms of the opposite sex. Men may cry under different circumstances, often in sheer fury of frustration or at losing a close friend or sibling.  Some women hide their feelings in circumstances beyond their control, and take on mannerisms we consider masculine. It can be down to either circumstances OR genetic disorders that children turn one way or another.

7. kj force profile image72
    kj forceposted 5 years ago

No...some boys are not necessarily into rough play... It know boys who were raised by grandmother/mom and 4 sisters, they were all boy and grew to adulthood and were very manly.....but...they were very considerate and caring... just as NOT all girls are into sewing and all girly stuff..some enjoy engaging in physical contact sports..and may be more competitive than boys...

working