jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Could you honor your mother or father if they abandoned or abused you mentally o

1. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 6 years ago

Could you honor your mother or father if they abandoned or abused you mentally or physically?

2. smzclark profile image60
    smzclarkposted 6 years ago

If a mother or father abandons or abuses their child, they take away their rights to the title of mother/father...

3. Teresa Coppens profile image93
    Teresa Coppensposted 6 years ago

I would always love my mother and father no matter what but I cannot respect someone who is abusive.  My own father was mentally abusive when I was younger and although I have forgiven I cannot forget and the scars are still there.  I will not submit him to the same abuse as I will not lower myself.  I will always love him because he is my father but I cannot have the same respect for him.  I equate honor with respect and as no abusive person deserves respect then I would have to answer a definite NO to your question.

4. Mother of Zeno profile image58
    Mother of Zenoposted 6 years ago

I grew up in a mentally abusive home, and I have lost all respect for my parents. I still love them, and I allow them in my sons life, but I no longer let them in to my life.

5. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image97
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 6 years ago

That's a tough question, and one I have struggled with. For me, the answer is to honor their role in bringing me to Earth, and to love them. At times it may not feel like you had someone in the parent role - but I do try to honor them for being the generation before me. And I miss whatever good we shared.

6. ananceleste profile image72
    anancelesteposted 6 years ago

I know that my parents were as much of a victim from their parents ( they were severely abused too) as I was from them. I was very aware of this since I was little. instead of hating them I learned to have compassion for the child in them that never received love in their own life.

For instance, when my mother used to burn me with her cigarettes , her mother used to burn her with an iron. When she would loose control and beat me to the point of unconsciousness, her mother tried to kill her. And there is no one in the world that hates her parents more than my mom. So I decided, that in order to break the cycle of pain and violence I had to start with true forgiveness and ultimate compassion.

I see them the way their parents never could, in need of love. I see the as they are,  flawed human beings. Two people that did not knew any better. I love my mother and I weep for her, because she still hates her mother and is killing her soul. My father had a similar situation, and he is emotionally dead. That's why I wont judge him no more.I don't want to end up like that, dead inside.  Blessings.

7. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

i went through that and the answer is no. i don't hate them, i just don't respect them.

8. donnaisabella profile image79
    donnaisabellaposted 6 years ago

I believe honor is not bestowed conditionally. Honoring your parents has nothing to do with the way they treat you. It has everything to do with your attitude towards them. I am not saying it is okay to be abused but that how parents treat you and the irreversible role they have played in your life are two different things. Your role is to honor, the meting out of punishment belongs to someone else and in a different arena.

9. Pamela N Red profile image86
    Pamela N Redposted 6 years ago

No. I wrote a hub about this (I won't add a link). Respect is earned and my parents do not deserve it.

Simply giving another person life does not warrant honor. There is more to being a mother and father than simply spawning offspring. If you do not act like a parent, protecting your children from harm, loving and nurturing them, then you are simply an egg and sperm donor.

Unfortunately many who can make babies are not fit to be called parents meanwhile there are loving, caring people in this world who would give that child a good home who cannot have children.

working