jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Are we better parents now or have we just lost control of our streets.

1. darkland profile image61
    darklandposted 5 years ago

Are we better parents now or have we just lost control of our streets.

Are the threats to children's safety so much greater now then they were thirty years ago, or are we just more overprotective, or better informed?  In any case, how do you think this will affect children's self confidence when they become adults?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6953387_f260.jpg

2. sassydee profile image75
    sassydeeposted 5 years ago

good question but hard to answer. I say that we are better informed and that's what makes us more over protective.  Which can affect or children for the better or worse.  It seems that no matter how much I stress on the fact of the pediphiles out there and let my daughter watch those true story movies like Megan's Missing, she will still engage in risky behavior with her friends! I don't know if it is because she feels aware of the bad situations out there that she knows what to look for or she just doesn't take it seriously as she should!

darklandposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your answer, I know exactly what you mean, but I wonder if frighting children makes them any wiser. I also wonder how real the danger is.  I mean, are there so many more pedophiles now, if so why?

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

All you need to do is watch the news, Unfortunately.

darklandposted 5 years agoin reply to this

True, but maybe the news is inflating dangers and preying on our natural protective instincts.  If the problem is as bad as it seems why don't we take steps to join together to protect our kids, like a beefed up neighborhood watch.

working