jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

As you were growing up, did your parents ever choose your friends?

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

As you were growing up, did your parents ever choose your friends?

2. sassydee profile image74
    sassydeeposted 5 years ago

no we use to move around a lot so didn't get to make friends

3. profile image0
    danielabramposted 5 years ago

Yes! They chose one of my friends not deliberately, but because the parents were mutual friends.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's nice!

4. fitmom profile image83
    fitmomposted 5 years ago

My parents told me that I couldn't hang out with a certain friend anymore. Although I was upset at the time, it was only temporary. Of course, they were right! I don't know that I ever told them and it was much later when I actually admitted it to myself.

5. profile image0
    Elizabeth Dorssomposted 5 years ago

No...that would have been weird. My parents actually liked my friends so they didn't need to choose them for me.

6. rebekah76 profile image60
    rebekah76posted 5 years ago

My mother would politely give her suggestive opinion, but only when i asked for it. She would not tell me specifically not to be friends with a particular person, but I did notice that she always kept a watchful eye on certain ones. I have always taken her opinion with great respect, and it has served as a guide, when the actions of a friend would cause me to question the friendship as a whole. I suppose that I could say yes, because she was very aware of the influence that her opinion had on me.

7. remaniki profile image80
    remanikiposted 5 years ago

No, never. My parents always accepted my friends. They never interfered in my friendships but they made it a point to know who my friends were.

I did learn from my mistake of having one or two 'unfriendly' friends during a particularly bad phase in my life but I was on my own to choose my friends.

But I must mention that I have been blessed with wonderful friends right from my childhood up to date.

8. kittyjj profile image69
    kittyjjposted 5 years ago

No, but my mom taught me how to tell good from bad and asked me to make my decisions wisely.

9. liesl5858 profile image81
    liesl5858posted 4 years ago

No, my parents never interfered with me choosing my friends. They just instilled in my mind to get educated first before I start having relationship with a boy which I did. I love my parents so much I did not want to displease them.

working