jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

How you explain to a teenager why he need to learn philosophy of mathematics ?

1. soutienscolairefr profile image60
    soutienscolairefrposted 5 years ago

How you explain to a teenager why he need to learn philosophy of mathematics ?

Share your experiences, thank you

2. tonie2weeks profile image60
    tonie2weeksposted 5 years ago

you dont have to explain anything.... If he has to take this math course then he has to take it. This is only one thing in this world he willl have to do that dosent make sense...."Because You Do" is a good answer to stop any complaining and stressing you out....

soutienscolairefrposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but sometimes,, it's better to explain, not too long, but just to try to motivate him better.
      When you tell a teenager that "he must do it", I think that he will tell you "I don't want d it" !!! It's the used reaction when children are teens !

3. teyeger82 profile image77
    teyeger82posted 5 years ago

Good luck! I have a very smart son. He will learn a math lesson and do well on a test and then forget what he learned! I cannot seem to get him to understand that you have to remember the theory/philosophy behind math because it all builds off what you have previously learned. However, I remember being this way myself and I also remember that one day it just all clicked and I got it. Perhaps this will happen for your teenager and my son. We can only hope!

soutienscolairefrposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I hope so ! It's typical. You can repeat many times the most important notions and then the teenager remeber them without knowing it ... It's automatically recorded in the brain ... Try it .. Make also some notes at hom with some bases ... Good luck

4. Rosana Modugno profile image83
    Rosana Modugnoposted 5 years ago

Dear son or daughter,

Math makes the world go around.  It is all measured, down to the money you save to buy your car, the amount of gas you will need to put inside it to run, the money you spend at the mechanics and how to figure out if you were ripped off based on the parts and labor.  It is the amount you need to take out that cute girl you like and let's face it, girls like money.  It will help you figure out how long you've been dating her and how much you'll need to work to save up for that ring you want to get her. 

It tells you how much you will have to work or sell in order to buy those great shoes you saw and if they are on sale, how much you will get back in change so you can buy that lipstick. 

It is the paycheck you get, based on the hours you worked, minus the days you took off to pay for that concert you called in sick for, and drove hours to get to.  It is the mileage you spent to get there and the route you decided was best.  It is the total in your bank account and how much you take out.  It helps you pay your bills and helps you budget so you can survive. 

Philosophy is the reasoning it took to figure all this out.  Put them together and you have a grand life filled with happiness and everything you wish for.  Don't put them together means you will be living at home with your parents for a long time and we don't want that.  We will be on vacation and we will not give you the key.  Please make sure you do well in school or you will have no where to live.

Love,
    Mom

working