jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

What are some good toys to buy for a 1 year old?

1. Jesse Mugnier profile image72
    Jesse Mugnierposted 5 years ago

What are some good toys to buy for a 1 year old?

I've done my shopping for my older kids but so far have no idea what are going to be great toys for my one year old daughter. Help!!!?!??

2. btrbell profile image91
    btrbellposted 5 years ago

There are so many different kinds of great toys out there. She is at the brink of nbeing a toddler yet still a baby. I always opted for learning toys at this age but if trhew came in a soft and cuddly package, even better! Of course, she'll probably like the box it came in even more! Actually, I also used to watch what toys my kids were attracted to when we were at other people's houses and waiting rooms, day care, etc. Kind of like a wish list! Good luck!

3. tsmog profile image81
    tsmogposted 5 years ago

Hello Jesse. I don't have an answer. Personally when young the stocking full of this and that was more important than the 'gifts.' Let me ponder. If'n I was an uncle or dad or grandpa I would spy on her for maybe a few weeks and watch what about you she mimics. That may lead to some hints. At that age trying to remember the stages of learning it is shapes, colors, and object permanence. Or, things are real. Memory is developing too. Maybe peek at Erickson's psychosocial development for a thought. I guess I am giving away my experience with the wee little one's has a lot to be desired. smile

4. algarveview profile image89
    algarveviewposted 5 years ago

My children were never into a lot of toys at that age, but if anything got them happy were toys with lots of colours and sounds... The things is at that age there is so much to discover around them, they are getting so many inputs from all around them, that toys are just another thing... My kids, at that age, started walking and they would rather go around falling and getting up, than playing with toys...

1. tsmog profile image81
      tsmogposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I would think a smile and laughter occurred too as falling became fun. And, then rising again created a sense of achievement. I would think it was then they would look to mom or dad, bright eyed, full of delight, and ready to do it again, seeking fun

5. BSloan profile image74
    BSloanposted 5 years ago

The big legos are always a hit with any child over 1.    The Fisher Price play houses with the people was also a hit in our house as well as the muscial toys and books.

6. AustralianNappies profile image78
    AustralianNappiesposted 5 years ago

It depends on her interests, but last Christmas I had a one year old daughter and I purchased her a trike (Which had a long handle so I could push her along), a blow up pool filled with balls, books, a wooden tea set, a soft toy from her favourite TV show and a fairy skirt. Children at around this age enjoy musical toys too. Hope these suggestions may help you!