jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What do you do when you think ur dad is cheating on ur mom?

1. jabelufiroz profile image71
    jabelufirozposted 4 years ago

What do you do when you think ur dad is cheating on ur mom?

2. krillco profile image93
    krillcoposted 4 years ago

Stay out of it. If you feel compelled to do something, go to HIM and tell him your suspicion, but he will likely deny it, so where does that leave you? When we 'triangulate' between two intimates, we are placing ourselves in a toxic situation.

3. Thundermama profile image89
    Thundermamaposted 4 years ago

There is no easy answer to this question. If your dad is cheating on your mom, in time she will figure it out. The best option is to stay out of it and let things take their course. She may be aware of it already and is either choosing to turn a blind eye or planning her next move. It is never a good idea to meddle in other people's relationships as we never know the full story.

4. Cheri Barrett profile image59
    Cheri Barrettposted 4 years ago

Nothing.  Your parents problems are not your problems.  Knowing someone is  cheating is one thing, but doing something about it is another.  Let's look at your options.  If you tell your mom and she didn't know, she will be mad at you for knowing, mad at your dad for cheating and mad.  You will never be able to unring the bell once it's been rung and she will know that for the rest of her life.  If you don't tell her and she already knows, then she believes she is protecting you and the family.  Some women do know their husbands cheat and do nothing.  If you don't tell her and she doesn't know, then not telling her protects her.  It is not a child's responsibility to live the lives of their parents.  It is not your responsibility to tell her or make your dad tell her.  Your involvement in a parental problem is an added problem to an already complicated situation.  Even if you suspect but don't know, it's not your problem or your burden to carry.  Some people think it is, but it  isn't because the two grown-ups in the intimate relationship are equally responsible for the maintenance, nurturing and honesty necessary to maintain and keep that relationship on solid ground.  It is not your responsibility.  Many years ago, I walked in on my father with another woman.  I did nothing.  I said nothing and as life turned out, mother already knew and she left him but not because I knew and said nothing, but because she already knew and she chose to leave on her terms in her timeline.  I hope this helps.

5. skperdon profile image87
    skperdonposted 4 years ago

If you are a small child you feel betrayed, because he is not only cheating on your mom, he is cheating on you too, but you can do nothing about it.

If you are 13 years of age and met up with a little girl who claims that he is her "daddy" too, you grill her for information, then go home and tell your mom what the little girl said.

If you are an adult, you hire a detective or do the detective work yourself and confront him right there!

Sorry this question hit a nerve!

working