jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

What instruction did your parents give you about protecting yourself from strang

1. janshares profile image97
    jansharesposted 4 years ago

What instruction did your parents give you about protecting yourself from strangers?

Whether it was "don't talk to strangers, " scream for help," "run as fast as you can," or "fight back," our parents gave us some type of instruction to protect ourselves on the street. What was your instruction and did it help you?

2. Wakerra profile image77
    Wakerraposted 4 years ago

I got the usual "Don't talk to strangers" schooling.  I just kind of went with it, but at the same time, I didn't really have strange people come up to me either.  Though if they did, they seemed nice enough and I didn't understand the dangers so I went with it.  Now that I think about it, if someone did want to do me harm, it would have been easy...Yikes!

jansharesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That is something to reflect about, Wakerra. Thanks for answering.

3. MJennifer profile image96
    MJenniferposted 4 years ago

Despite the less perilous times we lived in when I was a child, my mom was quite worried about my safety -- perhaps because they have us great freedom.  Her "go-to" tip was, "Kick 'me between the legs!"  That was drilled into me.  She also taught me that if someone was bullying or approaching me, to pretend I saw someone I knew and to "greet" them in the distance by waving or calling out.

It's interesting to me that I went on to a law enforcement career and, on the side, have taught many safety and survival courses for women and the general public.  I have always incorporated the tip about pretending to see a friend in the area -- and to actually pretend to know the aggressor as well.  Those are some of the more psychologically-focused tactics that are essential in addition to the physical aspect. All too often I think the psychological component is missing, and most certainly the strategic elements are.

I appreciate what you have shared, MJennifer. Thank you for answering.

4. BChild75 profile image59
    BChild75posted 4 years ago

We set a code for only specific people & family to know and if they couldn't resite it, these ppl. were considered strangers and unsafe

Smart plan, thanks for your answer.

5. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 4 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8203269_f260.jpg

I had the best of both worlds. My mother was a "psychologist" and my "fadder" was air force. My mother advised me to decenter the situation by offering a compliment or pretending to wave to someone and run like H-E- double hockey sticks.
    My "fadder" taught me how to defend myself, although this was instilled in me significantly by playing hockey. As I grew older, my "fadder" taught me how to hunt which provided me with many pertinent skills; skills that saved my life when I was forced into a situation where either I killed or I would be killed.

Thank you, connorj, for sharing your experience.

working