jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How can you explain racism to children?

1. alexandriaruthk profile image77
    alexandriaruthkposted 4 years ago

How can you explain racism to children?

On the other hand you want them to have free thoughts but be conscious about the reality about racism. Your take?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

Their minds are very impressionable. It is the way you act around them that will affect them the most. If they do hear a racial slur at school or anywhere else, then it is time to sit them down and tell them how no one is different from anyone else.

3. Sri T profile image79
    Sri Tposted 4 years ago

Everybody has the desire to feel superior to everyone else. It goes back to primitive man. Since there is nothing in nature that will back up that desire or claim, man looks anything to justify it. I may have a million dollars today and say I am superior, but tomorrow you may have a billion. You may be 6 feet tall, but later I may become 6 foot 5 inches. Race is something that a person is born into. It will not change by itself. So one culture dislikes another culture and their practices. Greed, ownership and the desire to possess the earth is also involved. Who is in charge, who is on top. The question arises: who will have the easy life and who will have the difficult life? The battle is on. Who will grab the majority of the world's resources and have power over all others? After the wars, they sling negative suggestions and insults at each other. The only true distinction is culture and a physical appearance. The way to be free of it is to see all of it as ignorance, and transcend it. Understand that all happiness comes from within and have high self esteem. Be beyond it by ignoring it. It only exists as concepts in some people's minds. It is their fantasy and their business. It only has power if you give it power. It is an illusion of the mind.

4. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 4 years ago

i think you should teach them first that race is a made up word. doesn't really matter the worldview, we essentially all come from the same place. this means that all a persons race really suggest is which piece of dirt surrounded by a made up imaginary line their immediate ancestry comes from.  so to discriminate based on race is very foolish.

5. Handicapped Chef profile image79
    Handicapped Chefposted 4 years ago

You can look for subtle openings in everyday life. "I was cooking with my 3-year-old, nephew "We used the last white egg in the carton, and then took out another carton of eggs, this time brown eggs.  My nephew noted that the eggs were different in color. 'Yes,' I said, as we cracked both eggs open I said to him look -- they are the same inside.  Just like people, they come in different shades, but they are the same on the inside.'"

6. DDE profile image24
    DDEposted 4 years ago

I had many experiences with racism and had to explain it o my child but had done that after he had experienced a few incidents. I glad I did  after he had experienced racism then he understood even better. A tough one but had to be explained. We sat down and talked about the History of the Republic of South Africa.